Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mildew removal advice.  (Read 873 times)

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Mildew removal advice.
« on: January 30, 2011, 10:07:36 pm »

I am hoping to hear of any suggestions my fellow bay12ers may have for an optimized mildew removal technique. Right now, my way is:
apply cleaning substance, scrub like hell.
This works like a charm, but it's slow and tiring. I've recently bought a better soap, which reduces the time it takes, but I am still wondering if there is a better way.
If you're wondering, it's not my bathroom that has severe enough mildew problems to warrant this thread. I'm being paid to clean someone else's.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 04:40:53 pm by Argonnek »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Better mildew removal techniques.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 11:37:55 pm »

What kind of surface has the mildew?

(for the record, the thread title made me think you were a spambot)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Better mildew removal techniques.
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 12:19:13 am »

(same here) have you tried bleach?

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Re: Mildew removal advice.
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 04:44:47 pm »

It's a bathtub, with the plastic-y surface. As for the bleach, it just makes me dizzy without doing much against the mildew.
Also, I've edited the title to look less like a spambot.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 06:16:54 pm »

Ammonia has served me well in my battles against mildew. You can get scented ammonia which has a less oppressively horrible smell, but hopefully you have a bathroom fan or something.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 06:58:56 pm »

Apparently mildew can't stand acids. Try applying liberal amounts of vinegar, starting out with diluted vinegar or you'll burn trough the bottles for no reason. If you're sure you need the concentrated stuff, see if you can test it on a hidden spot, so you're sure the plastic isn't affected by the acid (shouldn't be, but just to be certain).

Edit: Fair chance that ammonia works as well, but vinegar won't asphyxiate you ;)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 07:02:28 pm by Virex »

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 07:17:48 pm »

Yeah, definitely try the ammonia.
Also, one part rubbing alcohol to one part water works great on leather, if you ever get mildewed leather.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 07:34:03 pm »

Vinegar worked well for me.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 07:49:17 pm »

basically get windex.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 02:30:18 am »

I get a small tub with a mixture of bleach and water, mostly water of course, whatever ratio it says on the bottle. Get a fan and open any windows so it's well-ventilated. Clear out everything you can from the bathroom. New sponge, not a scrubby pad because you'll tear up caulk and paint scrubbing too abrasively. Then I take off my clothes because I'm not about to get them bleach-stained (no this has not just taken a turn for the sexy, you could just wear clothes you don't care about ruining) and scrub the mildew. Get all the surfaces, including stuff that doesn't look mildewed. Start out with rinsing everything with bleachwater from the tub and then go back and go over it again to scrub with the sponge. Make sure you do the floor! Check any wood in the area for mildew, such as the part of the door frame that the door touches when it's closed.

If you keep up with it, the mildew won't cause any lasting damage. But if you let it get too bad, it will get in under the paint and you'll have stains forever. Until you repaint I guess. It can also get under caulk if it gets really bad.

Remember: lots of ventilation.

I also use those yellow rubber gloves for washing dishes, because otherwise my hands get light chemical burns from the bleach. I also wear safety goggles so when I wash the ceiling I don't get bleach dripping in my eyes. I haven't had a single problem yet with chemical burns on my skin otherwise, and nothing has blached my hair. If you care about something like that, get a chemical suit and shower cap type of thing. But at that point, get a respirator and triple the bleach ratio to really kill off the mildew.

Next, maintenance. Clean up any mildew that appears RIGHT AWAY. If the bathroom has a window, it has to be open when you shower. If there is a fan vent, it has to be on when you shower. Preferable to have the bathroom door open and other windows in your place also open to vent moisture from a shower. Some bathrooms just have moisture problems unless you really stay on top of things.

If you want to go all hippie on it and not use any stiff chemicals, the vinegar and baking soda thing does something but I'm not convinced it works any better than water and elbow grease.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 08:14:18 am »

This stuff:
http://en.nl.hg.eu/wizard-shop/index/productId/275/id/1784/HG_mouldspray

It's fucking hardcore. Wear gloves and safety goggles and ventilate the space.
Edit: Or just don't breathe
Edit: oh, and protective or old clothing, as it'll eat trough it.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 08:16:03 am by Siquo »

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 01:48:37 pm »

Thanks for the advice! I'll put this into action and see how it works.