Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Traitorous Goblin Soldier?  (Read 490 times)

WhitePanther

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Traitorous Goblin Soldier?
« on: February 12, 2011, 12:00:06 pm »

So, a vile force of darkness arrives to besiege my fortress, as usual. This force includes a group of goblin swordsmen--everything seems normal so far. A combat report pops up. I figure that one of my fortress' animals must have been near the group when it spawned.

Nope.

Instead of a leader, the group of goblin swordsmen spawned with a unit called, simply, "The Goblin", atop a named mount. This titleless-yet-flashing fellow looks around him, has a sudden epiphany about good and evil, and starts pounding the other goblins around him with his fists.

Unfortunately, he doesn't last long, as even his own mount is now trying to kill him. I guess he should have waited until he was closer before turning on them.

I don't know if I just witnessed a bug or a new random event, but I'm going to build the guy a memorial after the siege is done. His corpse revealed his name -- Damsto Poisongrasp.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Traitorous Goblin Soldier?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 01:25:27 pm »

Most unusual, I don't suppose you thought ahead to get screenshots of this?

This happens with loyalty cascades a lot.  Goblins babysnatch a human, who grows up, and becomes a squad leader.  As soon as this human leader brings the squad to the fort for a siege/ambush, he starts attacking goblins, usually wounding them enough to make a few flee, and is then killed.  I've never heard of a goblin/goblin loyalty cascade though!  Perhaps the goblins stole a goblin baby of another goblin?  Either way, do make a memorial for him!  Bonus points if you place his fellows' corpses around the slab.