Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Learning cliff, i'm X where is X?  (Read 1639 times)

Twistolation

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Learning cliff, i'm X where is X?
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2011, 06:30:08 am »

hahah okay, good to hear that you guys have some nice tips for me. this game is complex as fuck, and there is people on top of the  learning cliff trowing bug ol' rocks of "fun" at me!

I seem to have a curse on top of me, the second etting i had was bowled over my wall again by my hammerdwarf-.- Destroys the  lever that opens my gate, so my millitary is outside, civ is inside, on no way to swap it up! 8)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2011, 07:19:02 am »

I'm finding marksdwarves to be more and more fun, actually.  If set to defend a burrow that is the top of your battlements (behind fortifications) then they'll effectively stand up there and shoot everything.  In early forts, I've broken quite a few ambushes by having shooters up there.  Instead of having myself closed in until they get bored and leave, my archers just pelt them until they eventually flee.

Twistolation

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2011, 10:32:15 am »

I've never been able to get my archers to pick up them darned bolts when i station them somewhere so i refrain fom using anything that does not crush skulls tbh ^^

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2011, 04:07:36 pm »

Yeah but i usually refrain from things i see no "profit in"

0/10. Doing something with no point is the defining character of a DF player. /JK I need to draw the learning curve of DF. I think it looks something like a line with a positive slope and a sign curve added together.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Jachim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2011, 04:22:42 pm »

If no megabeasts: 3/10, a wall will stop an entire goblin army.  Try a real enemy, like flying, exploding carp, riding war grizzly bears, who also fly and explode.

This.. SO this.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 04:24:55 pm by Jachim »

Jachim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2011, 04:25:48 pm »

My latest FB caused a syndrome that ended up causing all my dorfs to violently erupt in pus and blood if they touched it.

It was AWESOME.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2011, 09:51:12 pm »

Technically, you can cause creatures to ignite when explode, by modding them to drop an object that ignites at low temperature, which in turn means that when killed, the enemy will turn into fire.  This is almost dangerous, except that fire won't burn a construction, so your walls and floor are safe, and most people don't put their living quarters on the surface, so there's not much flamable that's really important.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2011, 11:47:32 am »

Incidentally, build airlocks to keep your population safe from the caverns.  Much like Stargate, everyone goes through quarantine and examined for syndromes before being allowed back in the fort proper.

Anyway, once you understand the way that the basics of the game work, and you know how to survive, then you basically have three paths to pursue at your own leisure:

1.  Military challenge.  See flying carp suggestion.  Generally, just mod in more and more difficult challenges to your survival until you are satisfied.

2.  Architechtural challenge.  Look up megaprojects, dwarfputers, and designing fortresses or at least bedrooms in the shapes of giant fractals.  Study every aspect of DF's complexity on the wikis, and abuse them to the maximum possible advantage to make the most creative and unique designs you can.

3.  Pretend it's the Sims with violent depressed drunkards who occasionally get invaded by monsters.  Look up some mods for things like tiger fur rugs, create indoor waterfalls and baths to keep your dwarves clean, pick a few favorite dwarves, and start telling stories about them.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 [2]