Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Bee Allergies  (Read 2024 times)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
Re: Bee Allergies
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2011, 07:58:46 pm »

Actually allergies can be handled quite easily without enlarging the dwarf raws to much. Toady could just let the program add a allergy as "gene" on the creation of a dwarf. Internally the dwarf would just hold a small list with allergies that may or may not be revealed to the player and may, most likely, not have any articles at all. Genetic allergies get passed down from parent to child (50% if only one parent had the gene) - for allergies bound to genetics anyway. But lets talk about poisons in general before i go on because they have some useable traits and infrastructure for this problem.

Remember each dwarf has poison-group assigned by the tag [CREATURE_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]. Atm this is the only poison-group in game btw. . It determines which poisons work on a being by the [SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON] tag in poisons itself.

The variant which i would prefer would be attaching a new token to creatures like [CREATURE_ALLERGIES:ALLERGY_ GENERAL]. Then the games goes through a list of Materials and takes all the materials that have a [SYN_ALLERGY_CLASS:ALLERGY_ GENERAL] tag and assigns material based allergies to things with a very small chance. Given that we get populations of 50K+ 0.1% chance would be actually enough chance to get an allergy assigned at creation that could be passed down to reflect the pre-industrialisation allergy levels.

The effects of the allergy can be expressed like the ones of syndromes and poisons. The severty of the effects could also be counted from a slight blister from wearing a nickel ring to an outright anaphylactic shock can all be codified with in the syndrom-system. The probability of an effect expressing itself is also within the syndrom-system but would need to attached to the dwarf only once on his creation and not each time the material is encountered.

Acquired allergies, like most cases of hay fever, could form with a very low chance and still act under the same system with a chance of say 0.01% incl the chance to acquire a resistance later/over a time. This way you can get a baker which acquires a flour allergy but he could work that off. 

By the way poisons also allow to make exception to castes  and certain creatures types so i figure that could aslo be added to a allergy system like the one i have outlined.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 08:03:42 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2011, 09:32:06 pm »

people with bee allergies dont instantly die from a beesting

depending on the cevertity the affected body part will expand and take on moisture

the worst that could happen is an urgant need for a bodypart to be surgically removed (or in case of the troat etc slow painful choking death unless treated)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2011, 09:40:33 pm »

People with bee allergies don't die instantly from a bee sting.

Depending on the severity, the affected body part will expand and take on moisture.

The worst that could happen is an urgent need for a body part to be surgically removed, (or in the case of the throat, etc., a slow painful choking death unless treated).

... OK, I hate to go Grammar Nazi, but if the density of errors hits a certain point, I start to think maybe English isn't your native tongue, and you might be able to use a few pointers...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2011, 10:12:55 pm »

While we are at it, why doesn't someone just go and make a new suggestion on Dwarven genetics? That would then cover this, among other things.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2011, 11:40:21 pm »

Swarming bees are the least likely to sting; the swarm is trying to keep its numbers high intill a nest can be found/made. The mass is easy to avoid and needs to be very provoked to sting.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2011, 12:35:06 am »

iirc that ha something to do with he age of the bees too. Young bees have a chemical that makes them devote and pacifistic only then they age enought to become warriors/harvesters the effect of this chemical gets lower.

@sockless: well just rename the thread into allergies and my little rant on the inner works of it would work for itself i think. 
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Stratah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2011, 11:15:15 pm »

Toady considered the idea reasonable.  Although I do not know if the question came from here, or some bloody bastard took my glory.
Pages: 1 [2]