Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Prototype 2: My name is Alex....wait, no it's not.  (Read 1609 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Prototype 2: My name is Alex....wait, no it's not.
« on: December 13, 2010, 08:29:48 pm »

http://xbox360.gamespy.com/xbox-360/prototype-2/1139981p1.html

So I wondered when this sequel would rear it's gelatinous red and black head.

First thing. You're not playing Mercer, you're playing....some dumbass from the game I don't even remember. A cop, or some shit.

So I'm guessing you get the Blackwatch virus into you and go tearing around the city, trying to stop Mercer while trying to figure out what he's up to.

Part of me really want to get this game, because Prototype had some of the best free-running/button mashing available.

But then I remember the complete and total lack of support by Radical after the game released. Prototype was a relatively stable release, but there were problems, as there always are. The PC version never got a single, solitary update to address the fucked up audio, the fucked up FPS, or the fucked up anything. The only patch Radical did was an emergency release day patch to get the game working on the PS3. Prototype was 100% a console game sell, and Radical non-action basically said "we don't give a shit about PC hardware configurations, it works on the consoles and that's all we need."

Can you tell I've got an axe to grind? I enjoyed Prototype quite a bit, but nothing pisses me off more than developers who wash their hands of a product after release, whether it was successful or not. Prototype "easily" qualified for a sequel based on sales. So you guys were too busy rolling over in wheelbarrows full of money to come back to your fucking game and fix it? (Exaggeration.)

Still. Fool me once. I'm going to do with Prototype 2 what I should have done with Prototype, and pirate that shit until I know it works on my system without flaw, or I see those bastards actually decide to put in some post-release support.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 08:31:47 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Prototype 2: My name is Alex....wait, no it's not.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 08:34:18 pm »

You should just not play it until you get word on if they're doing patches or not, rather than pirating it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 08:36:32 pm »

If I pirate it and like it, I'll actually go buy it. It's the digital solution to the death of demos :P
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 08:43:45 pm »

Er. I never had any problems with the PC version of Prototype.

It also did have the best free running of any such game. I always laugh when I realize that despite the fact you can run straight up walls, you still have the ability to crawl on them, Spiderman style, at a snails pace.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 08:51:07 pm »

There was this long standing audio bug for many users (you had like, exploding jaggy noises over everything in the menus, cut scene audio played at 40% speed, cut scenes moved in slow motion, audio played like it was coming from a mile away....)

People even figured it out for them. They extracted their audio archives, and tediously removed and play-tested with each audio file removed until they found the EXACT one that was the source of the majority of people's problems. Radical never did squat about it.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 09:48:07 pm »

The spider man thing only really came in useful for a few hard to reach landmarks collectibles.

But yes that game had damn fun free running I swear I spent more time running gliding jumping and occasionally smashing someone's head into the ground than I did on the actual missions.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 10:47:29 pm »

protopyte was for me, one of the best sorprises last year (never heard of it until 2010)... I always played GTA only to do havok on the cities, but hated how easy you get killed (specially on the 4th), lol... so prototype was the perfect stress cleaning game I needed, as you are basically an immortal guy with powers.

So im very happy to know there is a 2nd on the way.

BTW, the goal of the new game will be to kill Alex Mercer... mmm yeah right, good luck with that xD

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 01:58:04 am »

That wall cling... thingy... was something I completely forgot about 3 minutes after it was 'introduced'. (It was the only real surprise I had during my second playthrough: "Oh, what's this, a feature I forgot about. *10 seconds later* Right, forgot about for a reason;) )

The PC version wasn't horrible, but it did have its flaws. Most notably, I experienced an issue where it'd just freeze entirely during loading screens every once in a while. Thankfully, there aren't that many loading screens in-game; annoyingly, almost all the missions end with a loading screen, and if it did freeze at the end of a mission, you'd have to restart the entire mission from the beginning. At least it was rare, happening twice in my first playthrough and once in my latest.

The short draw distance was also somewhat annoying. (Interestingly, despite it being a mild complaint that only hinders 100% completionists hunting every last bloody blue orb, I noted that every reviewer picked up on it and complained about it. Copy-paste from other reviewers, much?) It ties in to the whole "It works on consoles now go suck it" attitude - they probably didn't care that some people out there aren't sitting on mass-produced hardware that is now obsolete.  :P

Either way, I'm mildly interested in a sequel, and I'll keep my eye on this if anything interesting happens. At the very least, I heard inFamous 2 is also coming out - maybe there'll be another fan war to spectate! (Or another opportunity to see Mercer in a bra.)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 05:09:53 am »

Sweet, definitely nabbing this for console.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 07:42:48 am »

But yes that game had damn fun free running I swear I spent more time running gliding jumping and occasionally smashing someone's head into the ground than I did on the actual missions.
Oh, me too. I've never had so much fun in a game getting from one place to another ... and then skipping right past it to cause more mayhem and forget what I was supposed to actually be doing. I think it's the first game I've ever played that did the "you're basically a god" thing right.

Ending fight was utter trash, though, although I did like the environment (chucking jets at people is pretty much amazing anywhere).

Please, sequel, please be greater than your predecessor.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 07:51:30 am »

Ah, the spider-man syndrome, the third one did it nicely, it was actually more enjoyable to hop around town than to do anything else, same with prototype, just messing around half the time, also roleplaying small stories with taking over military bases and whatnot :)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG