Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven feminism?  (Read 1789 times)

Leonard DeVir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven feminism?
« on: January 30, 2011, 05:57:32 pm »

Is it just me or are there a lot more female dwarves than male ones? I usually use Dwarf Therapist for organization and I always notice a 3:1 ratio in favor of females. I really cant be bothered about this normally, but its getting riddiculous if you need a male dwarf and there are just 3-4 n a 50 Dwarf fortress.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven feminism?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 06:00:17 pm »

The raws don't indicate any population tampering, so birthrates should be clean even.  I'm not sure about migrants though, that's a whole other set of rules.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 06:05:00 pm »

With that sex-ratio you don't really need to select a male dwarf, just an unmarried one.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Leonard DeVir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 06:12:12 pm »

The raws don't indicate any population tampering, so birthrates should be clean even.  I'm not sure about migrants though, that's a whole other set of rules.

Yes, its exclusively migrants who screw my gender rate.

With that sex-ratio you don't really need to select a male dwarf, just an unmarried one.

Ay, I know, but its not just the military...it just feels weird having a fort of females all the time. Thought its a coincidence, but its really prevalent every time I start a new fortress. It just bothers me, because it doesnt look right bug-wise.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 06:19:16 pm »

Has it shown up in more than one generated world? I've noticed that more males than females tend to show up in battles that happen during worldgen, so it might be because your civ's been through a really nasty war.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Leonard DeVir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 06:26:21 pm »

Yeah, thats the whole point. I always gen a new world after abandoning/fun ("washing hands", a really stupid gming habit of me :P ) and I always get a lot more gals than boys. Usually 3:1, but sometimes even more. Shouldnt have built those playgrounds, but thats me and my dwarven democracy.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 06:40:05 pm »

Dwarven Therapist has a bug where it doesn't properly understand castes. And hence everything after the first male caste gets interpreted as female. The extreme example of this is the Genesis mod, where Therapist shows 90% female due to all the castes. Hence I am guessing you are using at least one mod?

I was hoping this thread would be about feminism in the political sense, so I could boast about my all-female ruling class.  ;D
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Tokkius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 06:43:26 pm »

I've noticed that most of my dwarves are female, yes. Never really investigated the matter, though.

Leonard DeVir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 07:23:18 pm »

Dwarven Therapist has a bug where it doesn't properly understand castes. And hence everything after the first male caste gets interpreted as female. The extreme example of this is the Genesis mod, where Therapist shows 90% female due to all the castes. Hence I am guessing you are using at least one mod?

This! I am even using Genesis, haha. Never thought about the castes. A shame, mormonc dwarves would be new.

I was hoping this thread would be about feminism in the political sense, so I could boast about my all-female ruling class.  ;D

Well, start a new thread, and Ill participate. Gender mainstraming and DF sounds like an interesting topc.

I've noticed that most of my dwarves are female, yes. Never really investigated the matter, though.

Ay, me neither; I just feared a bug and ingame babykilling tantrum spirals with a all-female squad.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 08:12:39 pm »

Ay, me neither; I just feared a bug and ingame babykilling tantrum spirals with a all-female squad.
They're pretty easy to avoid now, if you've got your hang of the military screen. Either put them on maternity leave altogether for a year or transfer them to a squad set to defend the burrow where all your civilians hide out during sieges.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 09:04:42 pm »

That's not feminism, that's a matriarchy.

The last fortress I started was all male, and the few before that were either mostly male or 3 / 4. Single-sex starting sevens are well within the range of the RNG, it's just that they get a disproportionate amount of attention. Start twenty fortresses, note the sex ratio each time, and by the end of it you should have the beginnings of a bell curve.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2011, 09:19:27 pm »

Actually, in one of my first fortresses, I had this.

I had a female expedition leader, 4 of my starting 7 were female, female baroness, female dungeon master, female hammerer, female all the other nobles I'm forgetting about, a female elven queen, the majority of my legendaries were female, as were all my military that survived to champion.  (One male got close, but died of a "training accident" that put a copper axe through his heart... with a female who did become a champion.)

I only noticed it about the time my queen was arriving, and I had about 120 dwarves, while looking through Dwarf Therapist.  This was before castes, so it was just male or female.  Just a really unusual string of all heads coin flips (or tails, I'm not sure)... Or WAS IT?!
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare