Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Range of Z-levels.  (Read 2839 times)

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Range of Z-levels.
« on: January 29, 2011, 10:22:03 am »

I was surprised to find in my current fort that the z-levels range from 117 to -11. Why wouldn't the lowest level be 0 and just go up from there? If it didn't reach 0 due to elevation I'd get it, but this is the opposite. In my current fort -1 is the first z-level with 7/7 magma, but this was not the case in my previous one (in that one it was z-level 75)

I realize it's a minor thing, but I'm just curious.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: Range of Z-levels.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 10:51:37 am »

This is a really sensitive topic.

Clicking on the spoiler may ruin game experience.

It's related to "clowns" and "the circus" and "cotton candy".
Spoiler: Don't Press (click to show/hide)
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 12:44:13 pm »

Wow. I wasn't expecting that. The topic discussed is kind of not really a secret though.

Wait, does that mean my previous fort (lowest z-level 16) had no way of accessing the thing in your spoiler?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 01:06:00 pm »

Wow. I wasn't expecting that. The topic discussed is kind of not really a secret though.

Wait, does that mean my previous fort (lowest z-level 16) had no way of accessing the thing in your spoiler?
No. If I'm not mistaken, the absolute z-levels are measured from the bottom of the deepest depths of the ocean. The ocean is 100 z-levels deep at that level, but that deepest ocean level is z-level 0. Since there are caverns and such below the deepest depths of the ocean, there are negative z-levels at that location. As the elevation increases on the surface, the elevation in the depths also increases, so it's uncommon to see negative z-levels unless you have very widely-spread underground layers, but not impossible.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 01:10:50 pm »

So its possible to get to "that stuff" without hitting z-level 0? Must have been bad luck then (I didn't get it in my previous fort and I was wondering why).

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 01:33:38 pm »

So its possible to get to "that stuff" without hitting z-level 0? Must have been bad luck then (I didn't get it in my previous fort and I was wondering why).
Yeah, on my current fort the lowest level of the magma sea is at z=120, and the map's lowest z=113. I have 3 HFStone pillars and I do have a carnival.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!