Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What do you feel is the primary goal of AI design in games? (Please expand on your vote.)

Immersion.
Challenge.
Complexity.
Ability to run on any system.
Undecided.
All are equally important.
Other.
Don't care.
View poll.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Goal of AI Design for Games?  (Read 2908 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Goal of AI Design for Games?
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2011, 05:12:57 am »

Sweet, I was gonna come in here and say something, but Neo beat me to it.

Too often people do not give enough credit to what a game's goals are. They just see how they could change a game's design to be more what they would like.

So when it comes to AI...it's a question of what the game is trying to do. All AIs need to be able to run, but Dawn of War 2 AI doesn't really need to be immersive. It does need to be challenging. By being challenging, it's contributing to your immersion. Is behaving believably within the context of a game's rules trying to be immersive, or be challenging? Or is there a separate expectation, when you want the AI to act in ways that have nothing to do with the game's rules....or in spite of them?

I don't know, it matters to me when I'm playing. And hardcoded behaviours are usually massively exploitable.

Combined with Leo's metaphor, that makes for some hilarious mental imagery.

"Uhm, honey, real police uniforms don't use shiny faux leather for the belts."

"You're such an asshole."

"And you know if I really want sex, I can just wait until you hit your cycle, right? And you won't be able to stay off me?"

"I'm leaving."
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 05:16:09 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2011, 05:25:36 am »

Yes, Nenjin, but then like a real AI, there's always an exploitable quick fix for when you mess up.

"Honey, here's some flowers."
"Aww, I love you, too!"
"That policemen's uniform made you look fat, though."
"..."
"Honey, here's some flowers."
"Aww, I love you, too!"

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2011, 10:19:43 am »

How does the AI on AIwar work, its a game i demoed and wasnt that impressed with, its had another years dev since then, maybe ill give it another crack.

There's a lot of chunks that work in parallel.

Basically the AI starts with all of the planets you don't, gets several guard posts on each, each post gets a dozen or so "guards," and then every few minutes it spawns (from no where) units that specifically show up at your planet to ruin your face.

The units follow some rules (like the 8% chance to go after irreplaceable units like ion cannons, advanced research stations, or advanced factories) but generally just target something nearby until its dead.

Guarding units wake up when shot at (or what they're shooting at is shot) and agress your units.  There's also logic for freed (but not angry) units retreating back to friendly space (i.e. AI world) and coming at you again later when those units build up a sufficient force.

There are some other special rules, like being able to spawn units if the humans perform a Deep Strike, raid engines, alarm posts, etc. etc.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]