Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Extracting .rar Files  (Read 842 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Extracting .rar Files
« on: January 26, 2011, 09:58:24 pm »

How? I probably missed something obvious, but I have no idea what. Please teach me!
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Extracting .rar Files
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 10:27:29 pm »

You need a program capable of extracting them, for one thing. 7-Zip is free; most other programs have free trials that stop working (or try to, anyway) after a time.

In theory, you should then be able to use whatever program you have to open the RAR just like any other folder or compressed file. In practice, you might have to launch the compression program itself, navigate it to the thing you want opened, and then go about business as usual.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 10:40:02 pm »

If you use ubuntu look for rar in the Software center, as it normally is not installed by default
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 12:28:36 pm »

I downloaded 7zip but no matter how many times I press 'install' it never works. I try to open, it says 'Use 7zip' or whatever, and then it asks if I want to install the program. And then it does it again the next time I try to use it. What the hell?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 02:01:27 pm »

No idea, sorry. Do you have administrator permissions on that computer (its the only account or set to function as an administrator)?

What exactly happens when you try to install it, it just goes away and never comes back?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 02:56:45 pm »

Try winrar, it can also make rars and zips in addition to extraction and other stuff, and adds a funtion to the rightclick to extract.

After the free trial you get the occational perchase me messages but it continues to function as free to use.
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 04:21:48 pm »

Problem solved. Thankyou.

/thread