Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FB avoids doors.  (Read 776 times)

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
FB avoids doors.
« on: January 27, 2011, 05:28:29 am »

A strange thing occurred in my fort just now.

I created a checkpoint of sorts for the two flying FBs in my caverns. It consists of a tunnel which leads to a channel, that opens into the cavern from above. The channel itself, and the tunnel is blocked by a series of cheap hatches/doors. My idea is that the destruction of the doors would serve as an alarm for me (I have tried this in a previous fort).

Now when I get the door destroyed alert I find that the FB is already in my stairwell. Checking the checkpoint I set up, I saw that only the door nearest the stairs was destroyed. All others were intact, and I can't find any other entry point for the FB. Do flying creatures have some door dodging power or did I just leave an entry point somewhere?

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
Re: FB avoids doors.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 06:41:46 am »

It's passble for a fb to follow a dwarf past a door/hatch.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 03:30:03 am »

That sounds plausible, but I have a related question.

If you dig out an up/down stairway and accidentally dig it out over an empty space can creatures enter through there?

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 03:53:53 am »

I believe the answer to this is yes, although I have never personally encountered that problem.  The easy solution to that is to construct "up stairs" on the lowest level of your staircase where it breached the cavern roof to seal it back up.  Up/Down stairs put a hole in the floor, but Up-only stairs will cover it up again.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 04:13:06 am »

I have a related question.

If you dig out an up/down stairway and accidentally dig it out over an empty space can creatures enter through there?

Based on recent experience, flying FB's do.  Based on this experience, they will spawn very very soon and be in the dining room before you're notified...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.