Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: This is rediculous...  (Read 1543 times)

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
Re: This is rediculous...
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2011, 07:51:54 pm »

Alternatively leave the front door wide open, but have your barracks be at the entrance to the fortress.

This. I just leave my front door open and the drawbridge down. I only button up when I'm inundating the map with Magma... and only then, to prevent it from back-flowing into my Fort.

Any Invaders have to first cross a single line of traps (just an early-warning trip-wire defense, to let me know they're coming), then pass through the open gate and across the open drawbridge, then cross a six-level deep Dodge-Em Trap which has a neck-deep pool of Magma at the bottom, then get past a couple of sentry-dogs (to de-cloak stealthed opponents). Then they reach my barracks.
Never pet a burning dog.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2011, 07:59:30 pm »

Can't tell either way if it's from the side. :/

Traders come in the last month of the season, in the middle of the month. It's normally right in the middle, but the 10th and 20th are still options.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

warlordzephyr

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeping dwarves in booze since 2008 (40d)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 10:02:32 am »

On one fort i made a little waystation mini fort that was self sustainable. It was positioned near the edge of the map and had round the clock gaurds with crossbows on the battlements.
I just made all my dorfs proficient Biters, liars, and went from there.
"Did you eat Urist?"
"Pshht, of course not!"shifty eyes
Pages: 1 [2]