Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Internet Tv  (Read 1005 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Internet Tv
« on: January 23, 2011, 07:25:25 pm »

so my dad wants to get rid of our directv and he asked me about rigging his old powerspec for streaming tv channels. you guys know any premium internet services that would fit for my profile? i don't care about prices but i care about channel lists. i don't care about specs either as this machine should be good to go for home theater (HD2300, P4 3.2GHz HT, 1Gb ram, XP)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Internet Tv
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 07:38:31 pm »

I know that Hulu doesn't have the rights to run a lot of channels/content, even if you're a premium user.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 10:23:48 am »

I lothe internet TV, so I like to think I'm at least half decent for highlighting it's pitfalls.

Will your system still recieve terrestrial or sattalite TV?
How stable is your current internet connection?
Do you have large amounts of spare bandwidth? (Both, per second and per month/year.)

And, please remember, I'm being sceptical for the sake of everyone in your server pool.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 12:07:28 pm »

i told you guys already that you don't have to worry about bandwidth (its fricking 40MBps and unlimited upload and download), i probably will have connect a broadcast antenna for hd stuff. might do DVR stuff.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 09:39:55 pm »

i told you guys already that you don't have to worry about bandwidth (its fricking 40MBps and unlimited upload and download), i probably will have connect a broadcast antenna for hd stuff. might do DVR stuff.
In the case of internet TV, I'd always worry about bandwidth. You may have "unlimited", but that's going to be subject to fair usage.
And, as long as you don't want to use that 40Mb/s connection for something else, then that should be fine.
(Unless that's really 40 MegaBytes per second, in which case you'd have over 300 Mega bits per second... And you'd have no worries then, at least.)

And, okay, I've not really used much Internet TV, because I'm in England and a 40Mb/s connection is just out of the question... However, I'm guessing a low-priced version of Windows 7 might handle TV better, due to it's extra media features. You'd probably want 2GB of ram with that, too.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 09:55:24 pm »

(yes its bits, if that was megabytes i think my dad would die from paying the bills, but think of all the stuff i can get :D). i don't really want (or pay) for windows 7 on the old powerspec, fucker is loud enough as it is and will probably be slow (its single core, HT is shit), i would upgrade it to XP media center edition, but again i wanted to know the goods, not if im capable of running it or not (trial and error always help the derper).