Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CPU Overheat  (Read 889 times)

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
CPU Overheat
« on: January 20, 2011, 09:16:54 pm »

I just recently installed a new motherboard and CPU.  Unfortunately, whilst installing some of the other new parts, the lock-bar for the CPU's heat-sink appears to have come loose.  The computer over-heated shortly after I installed Windows 7, and when I tried to restart it after the installation, wouldn't start.

I gave it a little under an hour to cool, then turned it back on.  It's staying at about 18c now and for the past half-hour of solid running or so.  Have I screwed myself entirely, or should it be okay?  Just trying to determine weather or not to go ahead and start the replacement process with NewEgg, or just hope for the best....

Thank you for your time,
Tim
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: CPU Overheat
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 09:56:09 pm »

Luckily processors today come with a lot of safeguards against doing permanent damage in case the cooler pops off or something else went wrong. If it's running at expected temps and you've got no problems after a few good hours under load, you should be ok. The fact it takes a while for the processor to start again after an emergency shut down is not a super big concern.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 10:05:01 pm »

Thanks for the heads up!  Now for the mass-redownload/install xP  Then, Dwarf Fortress on a computer that can handle more than 20 dwarves, yay! :P
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

KaminaSquirtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 10:57:12 pm »

If you want to be extra sure, you can have it run Prime95 for a while and see if anything goes wrong.  If you leave it on overnight and it stays stable, then you're good.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 11:15:42 am »

What Kamina posted looks like a pretty good test to see if anything's wrong.
I do remember reading on my Processor's manual however, that if you do take the heatsink off, you should clean the surfaces and reapply the thermal gel. So if you really want to make sure, I'd reapply the thermal gel first before doing anything else.

That way you should hopefully cling onto any hope you had of salvaging any warranty there is on the processor, that would theoretically save you the cost of a new one.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 10:00:24 pm »

Thanks everyone!  It seems to be just fine.  Unfortunately, I can't apply new thermal gel, as the gel that's on there was on the bottom of the heat-sink, rather than applied by myself.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 12:44:26 am »

Thanks everyone!  It seems to be just fine.  Unfortunately, I can't apply new thermal gel, as the gel that's on there was on the bottom of the heat-sink, rather than applied by myself.

Sure you can. It comes off extremely easily with a paper towel.
!!&!!

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 05:07:04 pm »

What I meant was I don't have any :P  I may order some, but I can't get anywhere I can't walk to, so I'd have to find it online more than likely.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 08:30:39 pm »

you can try just useing copper grease in stead of thermal gel.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 08:04:36 am »

copper grease sucks compared to thermal gel (thermal gel is silver grease and conducts heat better), you sadly would have to order it online but 10 bucks a bottle should be good.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 12:57:22 pm »

I believe I get paid Wednesday, so perhaps then. 

The rig as a whole is set up, perhaps I'll do a let's play or something, now that I have a computer that can actually record :P