Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Danger Room Fun  (Read 633 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Danger Room Fun
« on: January 23, 2011, 06:11:26 pm »

So I just got my first danger room running well.  I went cheap, and attached the spikes to a lever, with the Pull Lever on repeat, because there's always someone with nothing to do in my fort.  I'm currently using 1 no quality training spear per spike, and enjoying it.  Along with the usual experience gains, I've also killed several cats (none of which actually belong to the soldiers!) and found that it's not challenging enough.  My soldiers are falling asleep in the danger room...  I assigned them to carry a waterskin, so they've got 2 units of booze and a bit extra time before they have to pull out, and I've now got a squad of axers with legendary Fighter skill and rapidly improving Shield/Armor skills.

So, with this in mind, has anyone attempted any more dwarfy variations of the Danger Room?  10 spears maybe?  Glass corkscrews?  Put your soldiers at the end of your archery range to train your soldiers AND your marksdwarves?  Underwater danger room?  Live animal training?

Discuss your most brutal training methods!

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Danger Room Fun
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 06:17:07 pm »

I do a danger room with a single repeating spike trap with 10 training spears. Works awesomely, if you don't mind all your soldiers being friends.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 06:18:35 pm »

you mean a 1x1 room?  I built a 5x5, but if you can mush them all in there then all the better.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 06:20:59 pm »

I use a danger-room-esque thing with menacing glass spikes for prisoners.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

tehc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 06:43:25 pm »

My danger rooms are always 7x7 traps with 10 spears each, as that can take 60 military dwarves easily. As a little test I tried copper spears once, and a test squad survived completely until one got tired, fell unconcious and got stabbed to death. I don't think that it makes any difference to the time it takes to train them however.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 06:44:58 pm »

I've never had to train such large batches before!

The_Countess

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 07:13:11 pm »

1 square can fit any number of dwarfs so 1 is enough. al thou my current one is 2 by 2.
so far 10 spears is working out great. and i don't even have to worry about keeping them in there ect because of the way i set it up.

my current one looks like this
s= upright spears
w= wall
d = door
a = armor stand
Code: [Select]
wwwwww
dssdaw
wsswww
set middle the door to forbidden AND internal. (the left most door is just the entrance)
now if you create a barracks using the armor stand (or something similar) and assign all you squads to train there and turn it off everywhere else. (you can leave sleeping and other stuff at their normal barracks.) the dwarfs will spend most of their time in that room while still getting new equipment and eating and drinking normally.
strictly speaking only 10 spears are ever needed with this design, they will always all stand on the same 1 tile because they try to fit into a room when they need to train there, unlike what happens when you station them somewhere.

edit
just to be sure:
Make sure all your military dwarfs have full leather, and at least a metal helmet chain-mail shirt and metal gauntlets.
specially the gauntlets, or it will be broken finger galore before long.
every dwarfs that had that hasn't had a injury yet in 2 seasons.
haven't tried with no helmet or chain mail shirt yet but why risk it?

p.s. i have low to medium quality training spears in there, using medium quality gears.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 08:53:02 pm by The_Countess »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 07:30:52 pm »

Oh wow, that's VERY smart.  On the same note, I've noticed that you can define a room and then construct inside it.  Like, you could build an armor stand, then a danger room beside it, and then a wall between the room and the armor stand, and the designated room will remain as it was before the wall.  At least, that's the idea.  I've done this before with bedrooms and such, when I want a craftdwarf stuck in a hole with only the materials I force-feed him.