Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Generating a world without Dwarves  (Read 1998 times)

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
Generating a world without Dwarves
« on: January 23, 2011, 12:55:42 pm »

I'm trying to Generate a world for Fortressing without a dwarven civ. I finally got a world without a dorf civ, but... It won't let me build a fortress. Does anyone have a save that this works on? Thanks. I'm really wanting to try out a "last dwarves" scenario, but I need the world to be genned properly first.
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

DStecks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Generating a world without Dwarves
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 02:37:04 pm »

It probably won't let you start a fort because there are no dwarves to start a fort with.

*Poster*

• Bay Watcher
  • It is a mystery to everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 02:42:15 pm »

It probably won't let you start a fort because there are no dwarves to start a fort with.

But it ought to. It used to be that even with no Dwarf civs alive, seven would be conjured from thin air to create the new fort. Presumably, unless OP is doing something unusual, that has now been changed?
The Tower of Fu, a massive wooden statue of a middle finger facing north towards the elven lands, is completed, crafted from 760 wooden blocks of differing types of wood.  It is designated as a stockpile for lye, potash, ash, and coal.
Six out of seven dwarves are not Happy.

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 02:43:59 pm »

I was trying to get a world like this as well. If the dwarves never had a civilization, then you won't be able to start a fort. I fixed this by creating pocket world after pocket world. Eventually you'll get a history where they dwarves picked a fight with someone and lost. Gen the world, check for a dwarven civ, check adventurer mode and make sure you can't start a dwarf, then start your fort. Took me about 20 times, but pocket worlds generate quickly.

c-106mc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 02:46:23 pm »

You can turn off the need for a Dwarven civilization for embarking in the advanced world gen parameters. You turn off something along the lines of "Parent Civ", I don't remember the exact wording, but it's there.

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 02:48:31 pm »

You can turn off the need for a Dwarven civilization for embarking in the advanced world gen parameters. You turn off something along the lines of "Parent Civ", I don't remember the exact wording, but it's there.

That only stops the warning that the fort will be a legends only fort. The parameter is "Playable Civilization Required".

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 03:09:56 pm »

So, I genned some more pockets. I checked adventure mode, and there were no playable dwarves, just elves and humans. But Dwarf more still shows a civ/mountain homes. What's up with that?

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 03:24:00 pm »

So, I genned some more pockets. I checked adventure mode, and there were no playable dwarves, just elves and humans. But Dwarf more still shows a civ/mountain homes. What's up with that?

You have to have a parent civ, it just so happens that your parent civ is dead.

Also note that you'll get two waves of migrants, as they're hardcoded.

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 03:27:16 pm »

You have to have a parent civ, it just so happens that your parent civ is dead.

Also note that you'll get two waves of migrants, as they're hardcoded.

But, they have 5 forts. And they are listed as neighboring civs. Is this normal?

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 04:21:20 pm »

This is the world Im currently playing on.  There's only one dwarven civ, and they die out nearly 400 years before world gen ends. You'll only get the first 2 migrant waves, which I've been told is hard coded.  Also if you have a somewhat slow system it may take a while to gen as it goes through nearly 350 rejects.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 06:06:10 pm »

But, they have 5 forts. And they are listed as neighboring civs. Is this normal?

Check the civ's leaders. If they are dead then so is everyone else.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 06:54:35 pm »

If dwarves aren't playable in Adventurer then the dwarven civilization is dead. Period.