Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Urist Frankenstein's Medical School  (Read 1052 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Urist Frankenstein's Medical School
« on: January 22, 2011, 09:03:56 pm »

TL, DR: selectively and severely injure immigrants in order to train doctors.

Longer version:

Ever since 40d, I've refused to spend any points on dwarf skills in the embark screen. What's the point, when repeating that action( or dangerrooming for combat skills) will eventually bring it up, and they might get a mood anyway.

The exception, of course, were doctors, which are not that easy to train. But after heavily crippling an immigrant child in my execution chamber, I had a thought: what if instead of killing immigrants outright I led them into separate holding chambers, and then crippled them in order to have my medical trainees try their skills upon them? This might work, and allow me to spend ALL the points on goodies.

The idea is to have three separate rooms: a big hospital, a moderate-sized execution chamber with several doors on both sides, and a holding pen to keep my immigrants waiting until their turn (or death by dehydration) arrives.

Of course, since we want to keep the docs working while keeping the population at a controllable size, I must ensure the patients dont survive. Heavy wounds should help towards this end, but I was thinking that I should keep some failsafe mechanism just in case, such as magma, or controlled caveins.

So what do you think?

So, what do you think?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Urist Frankenstein's Medical School
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 09:09:54 pm »

I think you should find a way of keeping immigrants in their own minifort until they all get unlucky with their initial injuries. Waste not, want not!
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 09:11:01 pm »

I think it is horrible.

Some people drop dwarfs 2 z-levels to train doctors, but patients may loose ability to stand.

Fully training a skill at embark costs IIRC 35 embark points. Not that much to me, but it adds up for all 7 to have some maxed skill, and some secondary.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 09:53:39 pm »

Throw them all in a danger room with little to no armor. Flip the lever a few times, then wait to see if anyone is injured. You will train combat skills and improve their stats, all while giving your doctors something to do. Make sure you have plenty of thread, soap, and splints to heal them up, though.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 10:07:31 pm »

I have enough dwarfs injured for my doctors to train on from sieges, danger-room accidents, and bad foresight without actively injuring immigrants.
Occasionally I have a miner who channels a hole several z levels to another level and forget to designate the last tile as mine/ramp and set it as channel. another miner sometimes digs out the bottom level and channels a hole below where the top miner is digging. as the top miner digs the last channel he falls 2 z levels and normally breaks a few bones in his limbs. You could do something like this
i.e.

----------- top level - designated channels, dwarfs mine down.
                  middle level - empty tunnel pre mined with channels below.
^^^^^^^    bottom level - pre channelled tiles.
This should give you a few broken bones.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

shmelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 10:09:51 pm »

The idea is to have three separate rooms: a big hospital, a moderate-sized execution chamber with several doors on both sides, and a holding pen to keep my immigrants waiting until their turn (or death by dehydration) arrives.

What if you have your hospital at the bottom of a 3 or 4z fall?  (or 5 or 6, however bad you want it to be. I haven't experimented that much with how much dmg a fall does.)  Then, several layers above, have a room where the entire floor is a retracting bridge, with holding rooms leading into it. Open the doors from the holding rooms into the bridge room, let migrants in, close door, pull lever to open bridge and drop them all right into your hospital. How convenient for your doctors... patients just fall from the sky!  =)  Pull the lever again, reset the floor for the next batch of victims to wander onto. 

Definitely let us know what you decide; I'd love to train some dr skills as well, though I'd prefer my dwarves live (at least long enough to experience multiple trips to the hospital.)
"Aye, th' fortress o' Barbedgear. They say th'r was a dinin' room dere...o' such splendor tha' it'd reduce ye te tears! Masterful engravings lined th' walls! Th' food was endless!"

"An' th' tables?"

"Oh, those fuckin' TABLES...*weeps gently into beard*"

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 10:59:23 pm »

Would it be possible to keep skill rust down by having one or two dwarfs simply cycling in and out all the time?could just have 2 borrows set up for them...one is a danger room and another is the hospital...send em in the danger room to get some minor/moderate injuries and then switch the borrow to the hospital til they are healed...rinse and repeat...

I mostly wonder if only a few people would be adequate because my population comes from births and I want to avoid death...

Slade Beds

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 12:18:03 am »

Why not throw a full set of leather armor on them and drop them from like 3 stories? The last time I tested this out in arena mode (with naked dwarves as the control group) the leatherclad dwarves just suffered yellow injuries.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 12:49:07 am »

Well my current for that I am working on is actually a desert settlement one....with aquifiers...so my resources are limited and I wont be digging except to channel out areas to farm with...

figure I will do a glass based economy...maybe meat/milk/cheese to when my fuel runs out.

shmelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 12:02:30 am »

I'm working right now with a 2 story fall from a bridge.  Works like a charm, plenty of stitches and broken bones for my doctors to work on.  My fort design doesn't really allow it to be close to my hospital, but I'm working on it; currently have too much wasted time with injured dwarves wandering through the halls with broken legs. 

I'm also putting dwarves in squads and stationing them on the bridge, rather than just doing this to all the migrants.  This lets me pick crappy dwarves that I wouldn't mind losing and also dwarves that heal fast... so they'll be ready to go again sooner!

NEXT!!!
"Aye, th' fortress o' Barbedgear. They say th'r was a dinin' room dere...o' such splendor tha' it'd reduce ye te tears! Masterful engravings lined th' walls! Th' food was endless!"

"An' th' tables?"

"Oh, those fuckin' TABLES...*weeps gently into beard*"