Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I think I fucked up.  (Read 1482 times)

Jome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I think I fucked up.
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 03:49:19 pm »

I know its there. I just have no clue how to get it out.

I dont understand pumps.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2011, 04:23:21 pm »

Pumps themselves are pretty simple, it's the logistics surrounding them that are tricky.

A pump that pumps from the south must have an open tile to the south, and this tile must have water one level below (otherwise you'll just be pumping air). When the pump is started, water will move from its original position to the tile directly to the north of the pump. At this point the water is pouring onto the ground two tiles away from the operator and will spread out, falling back down the hole you made to suck water through (and probably taking the operator with it). So you need to contain it. The pump tile next to the output tile blocks water movement, and from there you can use walls to control the water's path.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2011, 04:32:27 pm »

I know its there. I just have no clue how to get it out.

I dont understand pumps.
I've recently finished building a stack of pumps 137 levels tall, to move Magma up from the Magma Sea deep underground to a cistern tank suspended high above my fortress entrance.
Pumps are quite simple once you start playing around with them a bit. The DF-Wiki also has a useful article on them.
Never pet a burning dog.

Pages: 1 [2]