Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Last Stand of AxeMire, the Dwarven Stronghold in the Axe Mountains.  (Read 680 times)

Nopkar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, brief into:

I'm a new player, going on 3 days now I think...I've lost track xD

But after nearly 4 failed attempts at getting a running fortress, AxeMire arose from the ashes. My longest running fortress to-date, at over 2 full years (yes, i'm very proud of this.)

AxeMire was plagued by dozens of harpy attacks every season...apparently my area was riddled with baddies.

During the final season, a MASSIVE force of goblins charged in from the north.

Cut off from the world, AxeMire made it's final stand. This is the account of the remaining 27 dwarves.

Together we stood in the main hall. The sound of the approaching horde grew louder with shrieks and cries of the charging Goblins.

"Today lads, we meed destiny in these hallowed halls, and today we spit in her face!" bellowed our beloved Lord and Commander. Resplendent in his Iron suit, he charged ahead at the first dozen Goblins as they stepped across the threshold. My brothers beside me roared our battlecry "FOR AXEMIRE!". As we bounded across the smooth granite floor, my dwarven comrade beside me was cut down by goblin crossbows.

Our commander reached the first goblins and they were slain instantly, completely severed in half by our lord's war axe. There was a sickening crunch as metal crushed against metal as our Hammer Troops collided into the other goblins. The dwarf to my left was hit in the arm by another crossbow, dropping his shield. I turned and struck the Goblin in the side with my axe, bruising him and sending him staggering.

more of our Dwarven Brethren fell as the onslaught of the Goblins was renewed time and time again. Our lord was struck multiple times, his war axe lost in the battle, lodged into an unlucky goblin's skull, he remained steadfast, breaking the necks and backs of several more goblin's before the battle was over.

Finally, after 3 long days of fighting, the horde was driven back. Exhausted and wounded, we began the sorrowful task of burying our dead. 15 dead at the hands of 33 goblins.

Not even before the first corpse had been sealed, the ground shook with thunderous fury. We doned our gear for the last time. For at our very gates, a Titan had appeared. Our Lord charged forth, bellowing a mighty retort as the Titan clasped him about the waist, crushing him in his armor and throwing the lifeless corpse against the wall. See our Commander killed, The remaining Dwarves of AxeMire thundered forward, roaring one last warcry "AXEMIRE!!!!!"

The Titan proved to much for my meager force clad in Iron Chain, they were all slaughtered that day...so ended the Dwarven Stronghold of AxeMire, and with it the most epic final stand I've ever seen!  :'(

-Jobs are to be assigned to Dwarves in alphabetical order, regardless of skill or specialization.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
Re: Last Stand of AxeMire, the Dwarven Stronghold in the Axe Mountains.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 09:52:50 am »

Very good. I have yet to make a fortress that lasted beyond four or five years.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Nopkar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Last Stand of AxeMire, the Dwarven Stronghold in the Axe Mountains.
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 02:09:32 pm »

I'm working on that myself ^.^ I got too ambitious with my latest one and my production is almost Nill due to starvation >.> this farming system for DF2010 is pretty harsh.

-Jobs are to be assigned to Dwarves in alphabetical order, regardless of skill or specialization.