Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ghosts and cause of death  (Read 900 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Ghosts and cause of death
« on: January 21, 2011, 02:28:40 pm »

Does the cause of death influence the type of ghost you get? Because I had scores of immigrants die of starvation and/or dehydration, and all that spawned were regular, moaning ghosts. But recently I put into operation a spike-driven death chamber, and after my first wave of clients were served, a vengeful ghost spawned.

So yeah: do violent deaths spawn violent ghosts more often, or is it a coincidence?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ghosts and cause of death
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 02:42:28 pm »

not too much experience with ghosts, but I had a axedwarf who was otherwise normal die in battle and come back as an angry ghost.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

tps12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 02:44:00 pm »

I remember someone posted that they were able to savescum and reload after a death and get a different type of ghost each time, so it's at least partially randomized.

Hivemind

• Bay Watcher
  • PEEKABOO.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 03:22:16 pm »

I wouldn't be surprised if type of death at least added an increased chance of getting a certain kind of ghost, but I believe that it's overall a random thing.
Socks.  Lots and lots of socks.  It's the greatest Dwarven vice of all, outstripping alcohol by several orders of magnitude: the desire to own and haul as many feet-warming tubes of cloth as possible.
It's the tent of Hilarious Flying Shenanigans!  Everyone's favorite circus.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 04:08:10 pm »

Life experiences seem to have the most bearing on the type of ghosts....AFAIK things like happiness, grudges, friends,  and regular places they visited determine who they will haunt and where they will haunt

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 07:57:33 pm »

According to The Wiki, Murderous, Sadistic, Violent, and Angry ghosts spawn if they died while Berserk. Restless Haunts have a troubled life of some kind, and the rest are unknown. I also do not see Vengeful ghost on the list- have you discovered a new type?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 08:51:47 pm »

No, I meant violent.

They didn't die while berserk, they died while impaled with extreme prejuice
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 01:36:45 am »

Then there is an inadequate amount of SCIENCE! being performed on ghosts.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 03:54:28 am »

I have encountered the Unbelievably Cheerful Ghost, who threw parties after he was dead, so I imagine that would be the result of dying whilst Ecstatic.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 03:59:34 am »

Great UNDEAD partiers,  so not even my typical flood trap dwarven anti-party lever will help
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 04:18:04 am »

Great UNDEAD partiers,  so not even my typical flood trap dwarven anti-party lever will help

Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.