Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Covering a window?  (Read 1415 times)

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Covering a window?
« on: January 17, 2011, 04:51:48 pm »

I wanna make a window in my fort, but in case of attack, can I cover em up so no one will run away when the see goblins out of the window?

DKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Covering a window?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 05:00:11 pm »

Set up a floodgate attached to a lever on the other side of the window. A bridge would work better if you have a row of windows instead.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 05:12:01 pm »

Set up a floodgate attached to a lever on the other side of the window. A bridge would work better if you have a row of windows instead.

a bridge will also squash any dwarfs at the window, but if they are running away from goblins this won't be a problem.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 06:12:11 pm »

Alternatively, you could build and raise a bridge, then hide it. Looks good to you, and you can always pretend your dwarves have the sense to not be scared of something on the opposite side of the window.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

DKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 06:12:37 pm »

a bridge will also squash any dwarfs at the window, but if they are running away from goblins this won't be a problem.

Only if it's on the same side as the dwarfs.

Corwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 02:35:04 am »

Are windows destroyable by bigger monsters?  They're not constructed through b-c right?  I'd always built windows on the 'inside' of a fortification wall. 
This was always in my dining rooms if I had an outdoor ledge that was useful (like those aluminum sections that you don't want to waste).  Turn them into dining rooms (smooth/engrave aluminum floors!) so that everyone sees the lovely dining room, lovely windows, guards idle/eat in there, see creature outside the fortified section attacking the woodworker and go to combat or flee, cause I don't care about workers hiding in the hallway.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 03:08:40 am »

Are windows destroyable by bigger monsters?  They're not constructed through b-c right? 

Yes, and Yes.

Technically only some creatures, regardless of size, have the "building destroyer" tag.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 06:00:18 am »

Pro tip: Don't put the control-lever in line of sight of an enemy.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 11:16:13 am »

Floodgates in front of a window is genius, except that building destroyers can and will destroy both the floodgate and the window if given the opportunity, as evidenced in the epic of Battlefailed. To prevent this, try building them one floor above the ground so that ground monsters can't get to it...

Though this still begs the question what one will do if attempting to keep out flying monsters and demons though. In that case... well, I can't really think of a way to make a window an actually practical thing to have at that point, you might as well just make a solid glass wall and call it a window. Perhaps if one were to build a box like this...
|
===
XBB|
===
|

X = Window
B = Retractable bridge
= / | = Walls

The idea would to build a high wall, probably in a cave, and then create a window that would look down onto the caverns below. Just retract the bridge once something big and scary shows up, and bam, your vantage point is now both covered and impervious to building destruction (it is apparently impossible for a building destroyer to destroy a bridge that is directly above or below them... which is where they would need to be in order to destroy such a bridge. Actually... if one were to remove the window, this design would make for an extremely defensible archer tower. Maybe I'll use this myself! I like threads like this because they make me think up all this cool new shit <3

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 01:26:10 pm »

If you're paranoid about flying building destroyers, you'd want to have some natural (or cast obsidian) cave-in mechanism to permanently shut the windows when such an epic enemy is sighted.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 01:39:11 pm »

You can put windows behind fortifications to protect them from building destroyers. And put rising bridges between window and said fortifications. Dwarves still will be scared away by hostiles and thats the only thing that makes the windows different from the wall so technically you still get nice windows. By the way, see if ranged units attempt to shoot at the enemies behind them. (I believe I saw that in my fort but further science required.)
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 01:39:28 pm »

Easiest way to make a window Building Destoyer safe would be to have a fortification on the outside of it. Thusly you have a visibility out into the world, which won't let in water, magma or arrows... And can't be decontstructed!
However, an ammendmant to the bridge design would probably be:

╠╬╬╬
╔╗
║║
╚╝
╠╬╬╬

This ugly little example shows us some Green Glass Windows, A (Retracts ←) Cinnibar Bridge and some lovely Microcline Walls and Fortifications.
If you have floors above and below it, then you'll have windows that are entirely impervious to absolutely anything... I think.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 01:52:36 pm »

any FB can destroy such window from the west :P
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 08:36:18 am »

That is truly an invincible window.  Though I think glass windows would stop arrows, so wouldn't that make the bridge part pointless?  Other than, of course, it looking really nice.