Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lamest clowns ever?  (Read 1063 times)

maxs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lamest clowns ever?
« on: January 19, 2011, 10:09:43 pm »

So I've breached HSF and these clowns are so weak they can't even get through my hallway of menacing spike traps without getting shredded to bits.. they are all made of either salt, snow, ash, steam, saffron, or flame (and leach and vulture monsters)... most of them are getting vaporized by one hit...

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
Re: Lamest clowns ever?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 10:13:01 pm »

I think saffron(?) refers to the colour - if I remember correctly, actual saffron is part of a flower. That would be one of the elfiest demons possible.
くコ:彡

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 10:36:43 pm »

Hmm... In the last fort where I purposely breached HFS, I got killed by vomit clowns that breathed fire.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 10:53:58 pm »

That must have smelled horrible.

maxs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 10:59:12 pm »

Not to worry everyone!!

I believe I've managed to find a way to doom my fortress afterall. After getting bored watching the clowns get demolished I stopped my repeating spike traps and sent my elite troops after the remaining clowns. Except I didn't consider that to get there they would have to wade through heaping piles of demon goo,blood,extract,ash,salt, and snow. My troops killed off the demons without a scratch but currently something like 2/3 of my fortress is ROTTING AWAY in my hospital.. i mean their entire bodies.

Ironically I used to have a bath on the way to the caverns but I built over it to fit in more spike traps (DOH!!!)

Should be interesting to see where this goes..... No one has died from the rot thus far and I wonder if I'll end up with 257 zombies shuffling around with rotting flesh hanging off their cursed bones  :D
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 11:00:52 pm by maxs »

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 11:45:09 pm »

Draft some more doctors, and see if you can get one to legendary.

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 02:11:01 am »

I hate that people call them clowns. Clowns aren't scary! Just call them HFS ye bloody bed-wetters ;)

In any case, yeah, isn't Saffron a type of plant? That's actually pretty cool... flower demons... hm...

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 03:22:57 am »

Saffron is made from the pollen-parts of the Saffron Crocus.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 10:34:16 am »

I used reveal briefly to check out why a new embark had horrible FPS (cavern 2 lake draining hugely into cavern 3, think I'll start my fort elsewhere) and happened to note that I have

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

memo to self: do not open HFS in this world.
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.

Corwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 01:25:12 am »

Hmm, what an interesting type of soap they must produce once you take care of them...

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 06:52:51 am »

They won't, they're inorganic.

penco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 07:31:54 am »

If you don't want the game to be a joke, there are certain things a dwarfly dwarf must do.

#1 on that list is forgoing overpowered traps and fighting the old-fashioned way.

maxs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 02:06:20 pm »

Penco I agree and have since foregone danger rooms as well as traps at my main entrance, in this current fort it has taken me something like 12-15 years to produce 30 champion fighting dorfs through regular training and fighting off sieges/ambushes/slaughtering elf & human caravans.

BUT everything I read has lead me to believe that the demons would be only slightly hurt by my spike traps, softened up for my fighting dorfs.

I never imagined they would be ALL be made from materials like salt, ash, and snow that literally evaporated from one blow =P