Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: pond problem  (Read 671 times)

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
pond problem
« on: January 20, 2011, 10:14:52 pm »

im making a dwarf dip, yet my dwarves won't fill the pond past 2 buckets even though there are LOTS of full buckets of water laying around

how do i amke them fill it more?

since it won't fill my dwarf dip is evaporating and all the blood(20 pages) is now transferring to every dwarf and animal that enters my dining room
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 10:17:49 pm by ltprifti »

sdrawkcabcM tsirU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: pond problem
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 11:30:20 pm »

I've never really had to look into this, but do dwarves doing the fill pond job actually choose full buckets? Or do they intentionally choose empty ones and then fill and then empty them. If ALL your buckets really are full, that could be your problem.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 11:39:49 pm »

It's possible that the dwarves are using the pond as the water source for the pond, so they go, get a bucket, fill it, then toss it straight back into the same channel. To fix this, make a water source zone somewhere else, then alter your (o)rders related to activity (z)ones so your dwarves will (d)rink and get water only from water sources and wells.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 11:44:11 pm »

The way pond-filling labors work is that for each pond zone that you have, one dwarf gets tasked to pick up a bucket, fill it with water, and dump it in the pond.  Only ONE dwarf will be filling a pond-zone at any given time, and once he's dumped the water, he then goes on break.  Moving large amounts of water this way can be very time-consuming.  To speed it up, designate more than one pond-zone for the place you want to fill.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."