Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Joy2Key alternative.  (Read 1579 times)

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Joy2Key alternative.
« on: January 20, 2011, 08:20:28 pm »

I'm trying to set up a pseudo arcade on a large montor where friends and I can use gamepads for ease/comfort.

Problem is, the only mapping program I know of is Joy2Key, and it's been nothing but a pain. Having to work backwards, figuring out what button on the gamepad refers to the program's Button  1-32 (not that I have that many on the pads.) It doesn't even recognize my controllers d-pad, which is immensely frustrating.

Any alternative program with a decent GUI that would make configuring a 3rd or 4th player in a matter of seconds would be greatly appreciated.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Joy2Key alternative.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 08:25:34 pm »

which arcades are you trying to emulate?

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 08:30:28 pm »

Right now I'm just testing the keys with the Simpsons arcade, but once I feel comfortable with being able to set up game-pads, I'll probably set up other beat-em-ups, shmups, and probably a couple fighters.

Oh, and I'll get some retro console games going too.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 08:32:06 pm by yougiedeggs »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 09:57:23 pm »

Have you not tried the MAME emulator? Last I tried it, it seemed like it would work well for this. The GUI in the version I used last was pretty simple, but it was fully programmable for up to I think 6 players. And it recognized my fairly old and crappy USB Logitech Dual Shock controller.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 10:40:58 pm »

Aha! Before, Mame wasn't recognizing any gamepad button pressing, and would not let me check the box to enable joypads.

Turns out I just didn't have the controller plugged in before starting Mame.

Resolved and locked.