Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: On the Arrival of Monarchs  (Read 590 times)

sir_laser

• Bay Watcher
  • It's lucky to be smart, but smarter to be lucky.
    • View Profile
On the Arrival of Monarchs
« on: January 20, 2011, 05:49:50 pm »

When they come, are they supposed to show up as "friendly" on the unit screen?
"That is the most amazing thing I have ever read ever."
- Friend's reaction to Bronzemurder

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: On the Arrival of Monarchs
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 06:55:32 pm »

This is a bug, caused by the monarch not counting as a member of your civilization for some reason.  Unfortunately, it means you'll never be able to assign him a room or anything, and he'll ignore your fortress and probably just wander around outside till he gets killed.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 06:57:15 pm »

I believe this is caused if the monarch isn't a dwarf, hence not being part of your civ as far as the game is concerned.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 07:00:18 pm »

This also happens when the monarch already was king/queen in a fortress of the same civilization before. As civilizations don't appoint new leaders after world generation you won't get a new monarch even if you kill him. Just remember to pick a different civilization or generate a new world for your next fort. Every time this has happened to me the cohort still showed up properly.

sir_laser

• Bay Watcher
  • It's lucky to be smart, but smarter to be lucky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 10:01:20 pm »

This is a bug, caused by the monarch not counting as a member of your civilization for some reason.  Unfortunately, it means you'll never be able to assign him a room or anything, and he'll ignore your fortress and probably just wander around outside till he gets killed.

Damn, wonder when Toady'll get around to this one.

This also happens when the monarch already was king/queen in a fortress of the same civilization before. As civilizations don't appoint new leaders after world generation you won't get a new monarch even if you kill him. Just remember to pick a different civilization or generate a new world for your next fort. Every time this has happened to me the cohort still showed up properly.

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand what you are saying, could you please elaborate?
"That is the most amazing thing I have ever read ever."
- Friend's reaction to Bronzemurder