Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Golden Salve vials used as military's booze-flasks  (Read 1324 times)

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Golden Salve vials used as military's booze-flasks
« on: January 19, 2011, 03:24:58 pm »

I bought some valley herbs from the human merchants a season ago and processed them into golden salve, but when the next caravan came, I found that these valuable vials were nowhere to be found.  I looked up their whereabouts in the inventory screen, and it turned out that the vials had been appropriated by my military for use as their drinking flasks.  Their contents read: "25 Golden salve, 3 Dwarven Whiskey"

Why did my dwarves pick up golden salve vials for their equipment?  How can I get them to use a different flask instead?  Will there be any consequence to having whiskey mixed in with my golden salve?

My understanding is that dwarves grab the "most valuable" equipment.  Did the golden salve inside the vials make these the "most valuable" drink containers in my fort?  Would I have to make a bunch of masterwork platinum flasks in order for them to switch?  It would be cool if dwarves drinking golden salve infused booze healed from wounds extra-quick.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
Re: Golden Salve vials used as military's booze-flasks
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 03:43:57 pm »

"Urist, ye got somethin in yer whiskey there, mate..."

"I know. But if it had a flavor, the whiskey shot it straight out anyways. 'Sides, the doctors say it's good fer ya, or so they think if they ever figger it out. Want a swig?"

I think your military dwarves just invented the dwarven bong.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 03:56:10 pm »

It's a bug. Backpacks, flasks, and quivers are exempt from the "most valuable" rule - since they aren't explicitly assigned, the dwarf will simply take the first one available and use it.

The only way to prevent this from happening is to forbid all of your golden salve vials whenever you put a dwarf in the military, then unforbid them once everyone's been auto-assigned (by the nonexistent arsenal dwarf) a flask of appropriate material. Once a dwarf actually claims a golden salve vial for drink storage, you'll have to destroy the vial in order to make them claim something else - mark the vial for dumping, allow it to be carried to a garbage dump activity zone, then either atomsmash it (if you're impatient) or wait for a caravan to arrive and then trade it away (pause the game, unforbid the vial, order it to be brought to the depot, then unpause - once the caravan leaves off the map edge with the golden salve+booze vial, the soldier will be assigned a new flask, so make sure all of the other vials are forbidden or you get to start over from the beginning).
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 03:59:23 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 01:50:48 am »

Ok, so Golden Salve vials are chosen randomly, rather than picked preferentially?  Or are they chosen by closeness?  I know I had a fair amount of empty vials on hand, but ALL of my Salve-Vials were taken.  Do you think this was because those vials, were the most recent additions to the stockpile and so would be stored in a different bin than my other vials, and which happened to be closer to my main hallway than the rest of my vials/flasks/waterskins?

That's the best explanation I can think of.  Is it possible to ENSURE that your dwarves equip Salve-Vials for their booze containers?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."