Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Newb Question  (Read 1264 times)

calmon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Newb Question
« on: February 11, 2008, 08:38:00 am »

Hi,

i'm totally new to this game and looking for a good written AAR.

Well my problem is, i can't find one, only this community fortress posts. The search didn't find anything with "AAR" besides "AAAAARRGGGGHHH" in the subject.

Is there any good report to read?

Thanks!

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
Re: Newb Question
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 10:04:00 am »

They aren't called AARs here. Look for anyone talking about their fort. Nist Akath is a good one to look at. Try looking for succession games. Dwarf Fortress can take so long it requires multiple players to see a fort through to its demise.

To those who aren't from the paradox forums, AAR stands for After Action Report.

Connie Radical

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 12:03:00 pm »

While it was done with an outdated version of DF (one of the 2d ones), Boatmurdered is almost essential reading.

Rictus

• Bay Watcher
  • still hasn't found any adamantine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 12:38:00 pm »

Community fortresses tend to take the place of AARs, and most are fairly well written.  It's probably because this forum doesn't have the critical mass to sustain individual efforts.  Having said that, I'd like to see more solo ones. I believe someone might be doing one called "Ethical Decisions" at the moment I think.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 10:32:00 pm »

I think community fortresses are so common compared to 'individual efforts' because it costs little to change the name of one of your many dwarves to forum-dweller's names while still telling the story you want to tell. The involvement of the community on the story may be minimal, such as in Histories of felony and murder, or have more interaction from the "named" members who don't actually play the game but affect the story, such as in Cursemountains, the hunt for wealth.

EDIT: Formatting

[ February 11, 2008: Message edited by: Skanky ]

"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 07:30:00 pm »

Succession games seem to be a lot less common in the 3D version, but community forts are springing up everywhere... still fun, though.