Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma-Safe Anvil?  (Read 6757 times)

GotIt_00

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Liar
    • View Profile
Magma-Safe Anvil?
« on: January 19, 2011, 12:36:58 pm »

I'm just now starting to mess around with building magma smelters and forges. After tons of random channeling, I hit the magma sea. I then designated the smelter and forge over the holes. Immediately after, dwarfs suspended construction of the forge (smelter went up fine).

I then received the message that I needed a magma safe anvil to build. Did I place the workshop in such a way that the dwarfs dropped it into the magma channel? Do you have to construct an anvil from magma safe rock at a regular forge? I looked through the wiki and didn't find an answer.

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
Re: Magma-Safe Anvil?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 12:38:19 pm »

A fire safe anvil is actually any anvil.

However, they're made out of metal only (unless you have a mood), so you might need to trade.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

GotIt_00

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 12:46:20 pm »

I figured they're all fire safe, otherwise they wouldn't be very good anvils. I just can't figure out what I did wrong to make my anvil disappear.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 01:11:51 pm »

Did you forbid them, or block them in somehow?
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 03:03:17 pm »

Check your Stocks menu in the Status screen (z) and look up anvils. Even if you don't have a bookkeeper working, if you only have one anvil it should show up. Hit tab, then move over to highlight the anvil and hit (z) to zoom to it and see what's up with it.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 03:04:50 pm »

If I'm reading theis right, the problem is that the construction of the forge was suspended, and your only anvil was tasked for it. Unsuspend or cancel the forge.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

GotIt_00

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 09:27:03 pm »

Thanks for the replies! I haven't been able to get back in yet to check it out, but I'll try searching for it with "k" and seeing if it's forbidden, and then I'll go into the stocks menu if it seems to have really disappeared.

I always start metals production too late. I have about 80 dwarfs now and one squad of ten axelords. Plenty of food, thriving stone industry, 3 fully engraved z-levels of rooms, but not a single metal weapon to show for the whole thing :/

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 10:07:47 pm »

ten axelords.
but not a single metal weapon to show for the whole thing :/

yeah, you're doing it wrong.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

GotIt_00

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 11:33:26 pm »

yeah, you're doing it wrong.
[/quote]

Tell me about it. You don't even wanna hear about how many plump helmets I have. It's a lot.

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 11:38:59 pm »

i have a platinum anvil :)

GotIt_00

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 11:44:16 pm »

As you might have seen, I have lost my anvil, like a big dummy. Platinum anvil's gotta give some happy dwarf thoughts. They give me happy dwarf thoughts at least.