Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Above ground fort walls  (Read 1254 times)

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
Above ground fort walls
« on: January 19, 2011, 11:34:24 am »

this is just small question. How thick and high do you usually make your city walls when they are intended to be used by archers

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: Above ground fort walls
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 11:40:58 am »

1z, and with fortifications
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Cassicotca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 11:43:42 am »

Cant archer shoot 2z or more down? or are they most effective at 1z?

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 11:45:41 am »

W
WW
Where W is a wall and the wall on top is carved into a fortification should work fine. You can add more height, but it will reduce the range of your archers by one tile per level. You also don't need to have more than one tile of thickness, but you have to build a floor to walk on anyways and a wall takes as much material as a floor.

Cassicotca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 11:52:21 am »

Whats the range of archers? 7-8 tiles?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 11:54:22 am »

3z, with fortifications at the second z-level, so the third can be used in magma projects or being stuffed with statues.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 11:57:40 am »

It depends on the surrounding landscape. If everything is flat 1z is fine. If you build some walls for cover so your melee troops don't get pelted by ranged attacks you might want to raise the shooting platform a z level or two (this can backfire however if there's not enough room and the ranged attackers see your ranged guys first and decide to gun for them). For the width two tiles wide seems to be a convenient choice as it will provide for a walkway behind the fortifications, but it's a matter of taste really and if you need that room below. It would sure look cool to have massive walls tho. :>

The range of archers seems to vary with skill level but 20 tiles seems to be the max. (hence aforementioned backfiring when an elite crossbowgobbo decides to pelt your adept marksdorfs at max range)

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 11:59:51 am »

20 tiles, minus 1 tile for each level of elevation. Counting the fortification, they only cover 18 tiles out from Brandstone's wall. Also, there is a blind spot at the outside base of the wall, so consider digging a dry or filled moat there.

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 12:06:12 pm »

20 tiles, minus 1 tile for each level of elevation. Counting the fortification, they only cover 18 tiles out from Brandstone's wall. Also, there is a blind spot at the outside base of the wall, so consider digging a dry or filled moat there.
Yeah, forgot the moat. Adding some weapon traps 18 tiles away can help too assuming a flat surface outside the walls.

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 12:26:49 pm »

Depending on how ambitious I'm feeling, two or three z-levels, with strategically place towers throughout.  And I usually aim for two tiles wide, for aesthetic reasons.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 03:24:25 pm »

I once drew out a small diagram of the area a single marksdwarf could fire upon from behind a fortification suspended in the air. It makes an interesting shape; something like a screwdriver wedge.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 05:40:07 pm »

Usually about 4 levels high and 6-7 tiles thick.

At minimum walls must be 3 tiles thick. Interior walls can be thinner, but exterior walls must be thick, solid things. And they must be made of rock blocks or iron blocks. No exceptions. No rough stone. It must be in block form.