Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Underground aquifer?  (Read 585 times)

Lortath

• Bay Watcher
  • Alway symmetric, alway perfect, alway.
    • View Profile
Underground aquifer?
« on: January 18, 2011, 03:09:35 pm »

Hi! Dwarvens scientists
I search in the wiki, in forum, but didn't found anything.

On my new main fort (on a evil mountain, surrounded by a lake), i found a strange thing...
So, when mining tombs for useless migrants dwarfs. Near -10, in rock i found ''Cancel stone designation, damp stone''

Why? Damp stone IN my fort? I think its a underground lake (I didn't break the first cavern, but i found that quite strange). So, its an useless tomb zone. I kept mining and found conglomerate (puddingstone), after fews seconds, water was coming. I barricaded the corridor with a door.

I didn't remember seeing aquifer on my embark.
It's a bit confusing....what can I do with that? (Water reactor, infinite water for well..)

But an aquifer -10zlvl ? Under a mountain?
If needed, i can post pic.

Thank you, Lortath

P.s: I'm sorry for the crappy english. You can correct me any time :)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 03:30:38 pm by Lortath »

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Underground aquifer?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 04:14:23 pm »

Bleh, i just killed my answer by pressing a wrong button anyway here's the gist.
While aquifers are normally in soil, there's a few sedimentary layers that can be aquifers (sandstone, puddingstone, conglomerate). I'm not sure if it shows up on the embark screen if that layer isn't an aquifer everywhere, you might have also missed it in case you did embark on multiple biomes with different layer structures. Conglomerate goes over multiple z-levels so be careful when digging around below that area.

sdrawkcabcM tsirU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 05:10:28 pm »

Things get a little jumbled when you embark on mountains and volcanoes, with aquifers often appearing far below the top of the mountain. It makes sense when you consider how mountains are formed, at least the kind formed by plate tectonics.

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 05:41:30 pm »

The answer's in the word "puddingstone" - it's a large cluster stone that has a chance of being a small localized aquifer. Puddingstone occurs in conglomerate, so if your mountain's got a conglomerate layer it's not a surprise to find a puddingstone deposit. And since puddingstone isn't a layer stone, it wouldn't show up on embark.
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 08:11:17 pm »

The answer's in the word "puddingstone" - it's a large cluster stone that has a chance of being a small localized aquifer. Puddingstone occurs in conglomerate, so if your mountain's got a conglomerate layer it's not a surprise to find a puddingstone deposit. And since puddingstone isn't a layer stone, it wouldn't show up on embark.
Puddingstone cannot contain an isolated aquifer - it merely supports an aquifer that is already present in the surrounding conglomerate layer. By comparison, any other mineral inclusion that appears within an aquifer will block the aquifer, providing a safe path through it (on that Z-level anyways - if it's multiple layers deep, you'll have to hope for inclusions on each level).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 10:02:59 pm »

You now have an infinite water source inside your fortress!  Celebrate!  One of the nice things about stone aquifers is that you can smooth the stone to stop it leaking.  2 useful pieces of information though:
-Aquifers do not leak diagonally, only into adjacent squares(or the square directly below them)
-Smoothing aquifer-stone will stop its leaking, but ANY disruption to it after that will cause it spill forth again.  NEVER ENGRAVE AQUIFERS.  Also, if you try to dig into an aquifer-wall that you've smoothed, water will star pouring out BEFORE you finish your digging job.  Fast Digging and fast Stone-Smoothing are the two most important skills when dealing with aquifers.

In general though, take a cautious stance.  Don't do any aquifer-related projects unless you already have a drainage system in place or can seal-off a flooded area from the rest of the fort.  Aquifers aren't inherently dangerous, they simply allow you to do irreversible damage to your fort.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."