Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't make steel?  (Read 990 times)

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can't make steel?
« on: January 18, 2011, 08:51:03 am »

i have a large stockpile of flux stone, 22 iron bars and 40 pig iron bars, yet when i go to my magma smelter there is no option to make steel bars or pig iron bars.  whats wrong?

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: Can't make steel?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 08:59:34 am »

need coke or charcoal.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 08:59:57 am »

even in a magma smelter?

Magentawolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 09:01:42 am »

even in a magma smelter?

You still need coke or charcoal for Steel production.

Iron + Flux + Coke = Pig Iron

Pig Iron + Iron + Flux + Coke = Steel

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 09:02:23 am »

yes, they are used as the carbon component, not as fuel. If you use regular smelter you need 2, one as fuel and one as carbon.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 12:21:13 pm »

start burning some trees, or request as much as you can from the home lands, I suggest you request everything that could be used as coke and that can be turned into coke as the traders do not appear to bring as much as you would like
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 02:14:26 pm »

When you ask for stone from the traders they'll usually bring about three of each type, which is pitifully slow for a steel industry. If you have a good forest, start cutting and burning, and look for lignite and bituminous coal to burn as you mine.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

shmelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 05:06:30 pm »

Another way to get wood is to forbid any wood you have just before the human/elven caravan shows up (if you haven't pissed them off already...)

When the elves/humans see you have no wood, they'll bring tons for you, all super cheap.  You'd be hard pressed to burn your way through all of what they bring before the next caravan shows up. 

I've found this to be super effective since I don't care about much that the humans/elves bring.  Too bad you can't burn the wooden armor/weapons that the elves try to sell you (and what they wear), though.  I would *love* to see that implemented. 

You can also request wood from the Mountainhome.  Since there are several different types to select from, you can usually get them to bring quite a bit. 
"Aye, th' fortress o' Barbedgear. They say th'r was a dinin' room dere...o' such splendor tha' it'd reduce ye te tears! Masterful engravings lined th' walls! Th' food was endless!"

"An' th' tables?"

"Oh, those fuckin' TABLES...*weeps gently into beard*"

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 08:16:23 pm »

Another way to get wood is to forbid any wood you have just before the human/elven caravan shows up (if you haven't pissed them off already...)

When the elves/humans see you have no wood, they'll bring tons for you, all super cheap.  You'd be hard pressed to burn your way through all of what they bring before the next caravan shows up. 

You can do this with the Dwarven caravan, too - wood logs (as well as plants, meat, and even cloth) are seemingly considered "emergency supplies" and all caravans will bring them in inverse proportion to whatever you've got unforbidden in your fortress (stockpiled logs and any used in workshops, windmills, water wheels, or axles).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.