Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: How has Minecraft influenced your DF experience?  (Read 3480 times)

kronith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How has Minecraft influenced your DF experience?
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2011, 05:55:32 am »

i havent really noticed any influences either game had on the other, considering the monumental difference in the two

however....
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2011, 05:55:59 am »

Not at all since I don't play Minecraft.

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2011, 08:56:00 am »

By tacking a TL;DR; onto the end of your rather short post, you made it slightly longer.

Internet culture is strange.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2011, 09:04:04 am »

Also minecraft is too easy. Being a game with imposed goal (same as df) that statement sounds weird, but I want the game to try to actively disrupt whatever it is I am trying to do. No goal doesn't mean no achievement.
And that is why I barely play minecraft.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2011, 04:46:28 pm »

Well, I found out about DF from a moderator on my old server called thebigbossfish. I now play on a war server with the same community. It reminds me of dwarf fortress, since I basically sit around and order my team around, telling them to go harvest or go dig or build this wall here etc.

DF has influenced minecraft, been making my team members build a DF-style fort, ish funny when I go on a strange mood screaming about eggs for a cake.

I also get annoyed with the lack of experience, that 300000 blocks I dug should make me insta break dirt!

Minecraft influencing dwarf fortress?

Well... I'm not sure. I guess I build rooms way too big often (used to giving people space to customize their rooms)...
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Tokkius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2011, 04:57:53 pm »

I play Minecraft often, but it is Dwarf Fortress that influences Minecraft, not vice versa.

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding fortesses with magma since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2011, 06:39:39 pm »

I find minecraft is great to play with friends. Great projects and a lot of fun. They recently had a really big update, and there will be a whole load of modes in the future and a lot of other stuff. Don't forget, Dwarf Fortress has had a lot more time to get polished. Though I think MC will remain easier since that way it's more..."accessible" (like Civ 5...Lol fayul).

But I'm going back much more on DF. Mainly because it's an amazing strategy game that is probably the deepest game EVAR.

Anywho as for influencing my playing style...Not really. I guess I like to make big castles on the top of the Dwarf fortress world...but I haven't seen a dramatic change. And trying to compare MC and DF is like comparing cheese to meat. You can't really.
Dwarf 1: This is the worst part... The calm before the battle.
Dwarf 2: And then the battle is not so bad?
Dwarf 1: Oh...right. I forgot about the battle.

Eniteris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2011, 07:37:49 pm »

Nethack is the deepest game ever, except you rarely get very deep. (Random thought: DF mod for Nethack? Nethack mod for DF?)
I find Minecraft slightly annoying, but it's better for multiplayer, and more first person. But I still prefer to overlord over all my dwarves.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2011, 08:23:27 pm »

I played Minecraft for months on end before finally learning how to play DF. I've been playing DF ever since.

Say you want to make a castle in Minecraft. You have to look around a bit, find some trees, and knock them to the ground. Then, you have to make a pick. From here you can go right ahead to making your castle: Simply shove all the dirt out of the way and you have the base of a strip mine. By this time, it's probably getting dark, so what do you do? You go and encase yourself in a small dirt tomb. Monsters will flow over the land, crawling all over the mine you built. But once day comes, the primary threats are gone, and any that are able to dispatch you still don't matter, because you can simply return to the site of your death sans penalty.

In Dwarf fortress, however, it would take you this long to find the site for your castle, let alone begin building it. And in Dwarf fortress you have to manage the food, mental health, and production of your dwarves at the same time as building your castle.

Overall I think it's kind of hard to compare a turn-based strategy game like Dwarf fortress (which is what I refer to it as) to a first person digger game like Minecraft. Hell, you don't even play the same SPECIES.  The only real similarity I can find between the two is massively modifiable terrain.

Leeko

• Bay Watcher
  • Wab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2011, 08:44:31 pm »

I can't stand it when people compare the two. They have maybe two things in common: primitive graphics (though completely different styles) and mining (though DF mining feels completely different, i.e. you can't place natural-looking walls and dirt and such). That said, DF has influenced my Minecraft playstyle quite a bit, however I've been playing DF the same way for around two and a half years. The layouts of my underground bases in MC are pretty much identical to the bedroom layout I use in DF, and whenever possible I use lava behind glass as my only source of lighting in said bases. I'm also slightly OCD about not leaving parts that I've dug out that are no longer serving a purpose open; I'll fill them with dirt and any parts that would be exposed to my view from the outside will be covered over in whatever was there before I mined it.
"Asen Zoz, 'The Gravel of Pondering' - This is a Alunite Harp. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. On the item is an image of Blossomeven the Cold Tactics the perfect precious fire opal in Precious fire opal."
Pages: 1 2 [3]