Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Bored... Any good games out there?  (Read 7703 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bored... Any good games out there?
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2011, 08:28:25 pm »

Personally, I've been playing New Vegas and Shores of Hazeron lately. I have X3:TC, but after playing Hazeron (and actually being able to do other things on the computer while it's running, or, in most cases, log off) I reacted to X3:TC with "Oh gods, these ships are horrifically slow, and I can't do anything else while they fly to their destination D:"

In addition I've been watching various TV shows that I haven't ever really watched before on Netflix. For example, Farscape, Sanctuary, Doctor Who, and Torchwood (I had previously seen, for instance, Stargate SG-1, Atlantis, Babylon 5, Firefly, and Battlestar Galactica (the new, not the old, version), to reference things in the same genre (I'm not sure that Sanctuary counts as being in that genre, though)).

I might suggest doing that if you're bored with games.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

firefly28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2011, 09:51:24 pm »

If you are going to play a Shadowrun ROM make it the Sega Genesis one, as it is closer to the RPG and imho a better game experience.

Useful advice to the OP but also to myself , thanks as well :) I will need to try that !

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2011, 10:17:20 pm »

If you are going to play a Shadowrun ROM make it the Sega Genesis one, as it is closer to the RPG and imho a better game experience.

I have to go with this, maybe it was because I played the Genesis version so much as a kid (Infinite-money God of Deckers in the house), but I couldn't make heads nor tails of the SNES version. This was Shadowrun? Where was the... where was the everything? What was I supposed to be doing? Aaagh!

God the SNES version was the most obtuse thing I have ever seen. My two brothers and I could make barely any progress in the game and eventually gave up. I think we still have it, but I'm not touching it with a ten-foot pole.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2011, 10:26:14 pm »

Hrm, memory must be failing me, then. Remember playing shadowrun on an actual SNES without much trouble, many years ago. It's been a while...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2011, 10:59:46 pm »

Something I've just discovered is X-Com Apocalypse with the Megapol patch.  Instead of playing as X-Com, you play Megapol (the police), and X-Com is helping the Aliens.  Link to mod: http://www.strategycore.co.uk/files/index.php?dlid=779

I'm also playing Covert Action right now, briefly mentioned here.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2011, 04:35:14 am »

sorry for no replies from me, i thought the thread had died, but most of the games you have listed i have played (except the old ones ( except X-com i played them to death :D ).

But i am finding enjoyment from a few games like RO: 41-45 I’m kind of addicted to that at the min hehe :D.

But also i think games have become more boring and less interesting for me because they have lost all there depth because the big companies have sold out and made the games so easy and have no complexity to them that a 5 year old could play them :/.

At the min i can honestly say the only two games which really interest me this Year are Dwarf fortress and Colan's claim. and these only cause of the sort of depth they are offering. ( well and a few other games but mostly those two )
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 04:36:58 am by ScriptWolf »
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

firefly28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2011, 09:53:30 pm »

I completely see where you are comming from. I actually bought that Magika btw and while its not go great depth I think the reason the company is in shock and it has surpased expectations by thousands of sales is that people respect the fact theres a company out there who trys to develop something original rather than looking at core grps of players based on numbers and churning out crysis 10.9 and Call of Duty (The dark ages) and then every, in fact I will stop there as dont want to be insulting hehe :)

Btw whats Colan's claim? I googled it but didnt get any results, if it is a game I would be grateful if you could point me to some site.

I will try and think of more suggestions but tbh you sound like you have (like myself) player a ton of games and pretty much at minimum tried all the chavdom mainstream games(like myself) , got sick of them and looked for ages for unique stuff

Im going to try those shadowrun suggestions now btw, thanks for the insight all.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2011, 09:57:18 pm »

Conlan's claim.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2011, 03:50:47 am »

Also there's a huge forum thread on conlan's claim if you go a few pages back, I normally update up but the dev's are stingy on the details
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2011, 04:35:14 am »

On the subject of Shadowrun....

I recently faced this decision the other day. (Couldn't really get into either.)

The SNES one does win triple bonus points for being obtuse and difficult to figure out your next move. But Nintendo was still in the streak of "lets make RPGs where players crawl over every inch of 20 areas, 1,000 times, to figure out what to do next."

I think the story is pretty good though. It's got the right vibe just the Sega one, plus you don't have to do two playthroughs to get everything.

And while I do love the Sega one....firing up it not long ago, I was repeatedly violated by Gangers within seconds of trying to walk around.

It can be just as tough to get a hang of what to do in either game.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2011, 06:13:59 pm »

Mild necro, but the SNES version of Shadowrun has these awesome things going for it:
- You're a samurai-decker-shaman.  Completely absurd, but made of win.
- Random gratuitous club with some theoretically famous in-universe pop singer.
- Hot sidekick kitsune-girl.
- At one point, you have to run across a busy street and nearly get hit by cars, just because it's funny.
- Hilarious, not-quite-thematically-appropriate racism (elves are quite often deckers.  dwarves are ALWAYS CRAZY.  Yar har ho tee hee har!)
- Okay, let's face it, the dialogue leans in favor of 'kooky' sometimes (the doctors when you wake up on the slab).

Put them all together and it actually makes sense.  You're not playing a Shadowrun game.  You're playing an in-universe simsense vid that's about as realistic as The Fifth Element or something.  The mass-media consumers in the future don't really know what the shadowrunning world is like, they just want it entertaining!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]