Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves job choices  (Read 766 times)

giann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves job choices
« on: January 18, 2011, 05:37:43 am »

What are the rules dwarves are following for chosing their next job ?
It seems sometimes that they are doing the closest job to their position. But some other times they will do task like hauling as soon as the job appears.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves job choices
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 05:40:53 am »

I almost thought it would be a question about what proffessions to choose. Oh well.

In my experience dwarves almost never do the jobs you want them to do immediately. So if you want a wall built for instance you'll have to wait until after the next siege has killed half of your dwarves.

giann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 05:47:57 am »

I am not asking how to force a dwarf to do a job :P
What I would like to know is if there is a way to predict what the next job of a given dwarf would be.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 05:54:37 am »

Well, constructions are pretty much "Last in, Firrst out" Meaning that the last construction ordered will be the first they'll attempt. Mining works similarly afaik.
Jobs appointed by the job manager get done in order.

giann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 05:59:46 am »

Ok for constructions.
But what will make a dwarf choose to do hauling over building a door for instance ? Is there any kind of hierarchy ?

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 06:48:16 am »

Yes, there is a hierarchy, but unless you do some extensive testing and make a list we will probably never know. Hauling seems to be very high priority, feeding and giving water seems to be low, recovering wounded even lower.

(Just turn off hauling and other menial jobs for the important dwarves, like legendary smiths, masons and so on. If you want to make 100% sure that they don't waste their time you will have to utilize burrows.)

mrbaggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 06:53:06 am »

Mining is "I'll do whats close for a little while, get bored, and go do somewhere else".

I've almost NEVER had a 5x5 or larger room finish in one go. They always decide the next one would be more fun to work on first.

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 07:00:33 am »

Don't forget that they always leave at least one piece of rough wall at exact that position that keeps you from building something there.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 07:08:00 am »

fishing wins almost always  ???