Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cat Apocalypse, how do i cause it?  (Read 1025 times)

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cat Apocalypse, how do i cause it?
« on: January 15, 2011, 01:47:12 pm »

ppl talk about flipping cats off bridges, drowning them in rivers and an all time favorite of magma but how is all this done?
can i please have a few methods laid out for me so i can fix up my latest catsplosion.

as a side note i want to mod my game so i can just slaughter all my pets in a butchers shop like any other animal. can i get instructions on which bit to change for that too? i know enough about programming that i can do it just i have no idea where i need to make the change.
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

undead whales will seriously delay your megaproject.

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cat Apocalypse, how do i cause it?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 05:15:33 am »

Don't think there's a way to mod the game to slaughter pets.

The simplest way I've found if you want to keep the owner but kill the cat is probably to build a cat spiker.

o+||||+...

One-tile dead end corridor with some upright spike traps between two doors. The spike traps are linked to the lever (o) at the end. Set the lever to be only usable by the cat owner, then tell him to pull it on repeat (or, more safely, make a one-tile burrow to get him in there). Then watch carefully. When he's in there, eventually the cat will come in looking for him. Lock both doors as soon as it's in the corridor. Dwarf pulls lever, cat gets spiked, cat dies, end of problem. You only have to build this thing once and you'll be catsplosion free for the rest of the fort's life.

Try to get the bodies in coffins if you need to kill a lot of cats, it'll make the owners slightly less miserable.
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.

BuGGaTon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fake Dorfly Mentor
    • View Profile
    • BoredGamer
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 05:23:36 am »

just be careful that you don't have all your cats having adopted the same dorfs or the multiple slaying could produce a dreaded tantrum spiral.
Have any gameplay questions?  Try asking me during a live stream for a quick and helpful, yet derogatory reply!  Bloody elves.

http://www.twitch.tv/boredgameruk

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 09:53:32 am »

hehe, my mayor has like 20 cats. i plan on just killing them all at once and hoping he gets over it quicker. he likes green glass so i'm pretty much building his house out of the stuff to try and save him form going mad. i don't care if he tantrums though.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 12:28:13 pm »

Go open up creature_domestic in the raw folder of you current save, find the entry for cats and add [AQUATIC] somewhere in the entry(as long as it is not in one of the caste entries, you want ALL the cats to die).  Re-load your map, all cats will immediately suffocate.

If you leave it like this any additional cats entering your fortress will aslo immediately suffocate.  If you want to hang on to a few cats for vermin elimination you can go in and move the [AQUATIC] tag into the female caste info so that only male cats will survive and all females will die before having the chance to breed (this is what I do.  Infact, I modded my base raws so that all worlds I generate have aquatic female cats).
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 07:42:26 pm »

awesome! i might have to go and do this one... still dose no one know what tag would make it possible for me to slaughter kittens?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 09:57:12 pm »

Non-pet kittens can be slaughtered (but make sure your butcher doesn't have a liking for cats), and pet kittens have to be dealt with in the the same way as pet cats. There's no way at all to butcher an animal that's sombody's pet. Pets whose owners have died retain their names but are otherwise considered strays.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.