Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblin bits getting stuck in my fortifications and rotting, miasma  (Read 460 times)

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just successfully fought off the latest goblin attempt at invading my fortress, mostly successfully although most of my crack Marksdwarf squad is now dead or in the hospital after receiving some ridiculously accurate fire from an Elite Goblin Bowman.

As usual my army of 60-70 idlers scurried around for a while after I lifted the "panic, everyone inside!" alert to clean up the mess and collect all the detritus the goblins left behind.  I thought they had finished cleaning everything up well enough and was returning my attention to building some fancy new rooms to appease my newly promoted Duke when I noticed the dreaded purple MIASMA spreading from the fortifications around my entryway Trap-Path-o'-Doom.

Searched around for the source and found a departed goblin's "rotten right upper arm" apparently stuck inside the fortification! I tried marking it for dumping but my dwarves do not comply. 

I suppose I could just deconstruct the fortification, remove the offending bit, and reconstruct it (which is probably what I'll do in a moment...) but my real question is whether there is anything I could do to prevent this from happening again?  For instance, I simply built these fortifications as constructions directly rather than building walls and then carving the fortifications from them because there's just ground on the next Z-level up so I didn't figure it would matter whether the fortifications ended up with floors on top.  Does anyone know whether making them walls with fortifications carved instead will prevent body parts from getting stuck like this, or if there's anything else I can do to avoid it?  Does anyone else experience this problem, and if so, how do you deal with it?

Seems like maybe I should report this as a bug if someone hasn't already -- it's cool that body parts get stuck in fortifications, but I can't think of any reason why dwarves shouldn't be able to come along and pull the parts out as part of normal cleanup operations before they start rotting.

Also, here's my entryway layout, with the fortifications and miasma and all that -- pretty simple "short" entrance for normal use that diverts to the "long winding hallway of traps" when I pull the lever to raise the first drawbridge.  Anyone got any tips to improve my layout?  It's worked so far but the sieges are getting bigger every time and I've already lost several trade caravans that didn't make it inside in time when a siege happened simultaneous with their arrival...

--nomad_delta

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Goblin bits getting stuck in my fortifications and rotting, miasma
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 10:50:23 pm »

I saw this happen with some of my early trap designs.  As far as I know, the only way to deal with it, other than deconstructing and rebuilding the fortification, is to flush water through to push the bits out, or just flood it with magma.  I ultimately replaced those fortifications with walls to stop stuff from getting stuck in them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.