Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: ...and clay is the next step.  (Read 4309 times)

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ...and clay is the next step.
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2011, 10:44:47 pm »

How would cooking be improved?
Cooking & Brewing Diversity thread, with many suggestions for making cooking more entertaining.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2011, 01:51:01 am »

Oh yeah and I almost forgot, it would be great to get CLOTHING working once more.  All my dwarves have been running around naked for YEARS, and considering that even clothing and shoes are a huge step above naked in terms of protection from forgotten beast ichor, training rooms, and random creatures, its driving me crazy.  Somehow I have a feeling after this next patch comes out, my naked dwarves will suddenly become naked dwarves-WITH ROCK NUT OIL EVERYWHERE.  At least this is somewhat amusing.

Cooking & Brewing Diversity thread, with many suggestions for making cooking more entertaining.

holy crap the suggestions on the first page of that thread make me want a food arc added in specifically for that stuff.  I am especially intrigued by the idea of a head cook, taverns, and a 'meal of the day.'

The caravan arc should nerf the quarry bush and syrup prices, because if you flood the market with them, they'll become worthless.  So that's good!

the value of those meals is one thing, but I was actually referring to the magical ability of quarry bushes and sugar plants to multiply their food amount by 5.  stack of 8 quarry bushes-> bag of 40 quarry bush leaves.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 02:04:50 am by slothen »
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2011, 04:03:20 am »

i agree with animal feed. also new ways to put animals to work

Oooooh, I can see it from here!
"Hey, Urist, what's with all these howling and barking and shrieking in the halls. Are The goblins back?
- Err, no, overseer. D'ya know when the food caravan will be back?
- At least a season.
- Oh. Then could you order a few kittens butchered? The 150 wardogs and wartigers are staring at us funny, and two children are already missing..."

Warlion tantrum spiral. Yup, there's some Fun potential.

Cydonian Monk

• Bay Watcher
  • Your robots are watching you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2011, 08:04:10 am »

When the Caravan Arc is released, I'll have to stop playing until I can manage a hardware upgrade.  My little 3.2GHz Pentium-D with ~4GB of RAM can barely handle a 50-dwarf 20-year-old 3x3 embark fort at more than 20FPS. [snip....]
Your computer can only run at 20fps with all of that? I have 1.6GHZ and 500 or so MB of ram and yet I can run a hundred dwarf fort at around 18 FPS. With most of them doing things, if I have a lot of idler's I can get up to like 30fps.

It depends on what else he has running.  if he has a lot of background programs running, then it'll slow down F.  alot.  Spyware and adware are particularly adept at this, since you don't know its there.

It has more to do with the fort I'm running then what's going on in the background.  (Which isn't much.  No malware.)  It also has to do with /what/ your 1.6GHz core is (because the Pentium-D is effectively a pair of P-4s, and for most things I get similar results from the D as I do the 1.8GHz P4 I bought back in the RAMBus-only days and still use as my workbench test unit (except obviously where raw clock speed is the issue)), and what else is on the motherboard.  And what OS we're talking about.  If you're a windows user, I'm guessing you're still XP on that kind of hardware.  I might get a better FPS if I booted up XP (which I haven't done in... years?), but not so much in Win 7 (though overall Win7 gives me better performance), and even less in Ubuntu/Linux.  Haven't tried in Gentoo/Linux (no X). I also haven't tried my Mac.

The biggest problem for me is the 40-50z-level ~20x20 octagonal hole in the middle of my fort.  This game really doesn't like large open spaces, and I refuse to not carve large open-air forts.  Also, from experience I know my FPS drops after several in-game years are unrelated to the number of dwarfs in my fort.  I only see a 5FPS difference between a 20 dwarf and a 60 dwarf fort once I hit the 15 year mark.  20 years in and I'm almost always at 20FPS.  I haven't survived past year 20 since 40d. 

To stay (sorta) on topic - Mead.  We must have Mead!  How will our Mead Halls be complete without it???
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 05:16:33 pm by Cydonian Monk »

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2011, 05:07:29 pm »

and now apparently nut paste that you can squeeze in a brand-new screw press. 

Dwarven Peanut Butter!

Urist Mcchild cancels Eat Sandwich: Crust not removed

also, where is this update posted? I can't find it anywhere.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 05:11:55 pm by Nyxalinth »
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2011, 05:33:02 pm »

and now apparently nut paste that you can squeeze in a brand-new screw press. 

Dwarven Peanut Butter!

Urist Mcchild cancels Eat Sandwich: Crust not removed

also, where is this update posted? I can't find it anywhere.
Front page

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2011, 06:17:45 pm »

The caravan arc should nerf the quarry bush and syrup prices, because if you flood the market with them, they'll become worthless.  So that's good!

the value of those meals is one thing, but I was actually referring to the magical ability of quarry bushes and sugar plants to multiply their food amount by 5.  stack of 8 quarry bushes-> bag of 40 quarry bush leaves.

I would actually argue that something like that is normal.  "Quarry bush leaves" refers to a pile of leaves suck in one back.  All that is happening is that the busehs are so large that they can fill five bags, and hence, 5 meals.

iEpinephrine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2011, 12:36:56 am »

Haha so they sort of do the exact opposite of what spices do irl.  i.e. spices irl make a meal have more flavour.  What quarry bushes do is make a flavour have more volume!  They're like flavour sponges!
"This button makes your dwarves less retarded"
Pages: 1 2 [3]