Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Old age?  (Read 1007 times)

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
Old age?
« on: January 15, 2011, 05:29:34 pm »

Can people die of old age, or is that a mod?
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Old age?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 05:34:13 pm »

People can die of old age. Dwarves don't die of old age until they're 150-170 years old, though, and typically spawn in their 50s or 60s, so you're unlikely to see dwarves die of old age unless you're running centennial forts (which would be awesome, but would take an eternity realtime). The exception is people created in world generation, such as outpost liaisons and the monarch, who are as old as they were in world generation and thus might be nearing their 170th birthday when they arrive at your fort.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 05:36:09 pm »

Is there any way to stop this?
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 05:39:24 pm »

Set their max age to a really high value in the raws.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 05:41:56 pm »

Remove their MAX_AGE tag entirely. It won't work on preexisting creatures, though.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 05:52:12 pm »

I always remove MAX_AGE from dwarves.  This habit goes back to when an outpost liaison entered the map and immediately died of old age.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 08:13:07 pm »

Can people die of old age, or is that a mod?
Depends. How good are you at running your fort?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 08:44:56 pm »

For dwarves, magma is a (or the most) natural cause of death... but yes, theoretically they can die of old age, as proved by the MAX_AGE tag in the raws, though I didn't see it happen in any of my forts.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 10:45:25 pm »

Remove their MAX_AGE tag entirely. It won't work on preexisting creatures, though.
Does merely altering the max age work? I'm taking it a little too easy on a test fort and I'm starting to worry that my mechanic will die of old age before I get round to making that awesome trap.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 11:23:21 pm »

Does merely altering the max age work? I'm taking it a little too easy on a test fort and I'm starting to worry that my mechanic will die of old age before I get round to making that awesome trap.
It didn't work in 40d. For the last several months of that version, I had been playing with the CatSplosion mod, which makes the playable race be sapient housecats, with the short lifespan that implies, and several times tried altering MAX_AGE after embark to save a legend that was just getting too old. Those attempts were always unsuccessful. I'd be surprised if that matter had changed.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 12:26:23 am »

Yeah, things can die of old age, but it's surprisingly rare in most forts - most deaths are violent or magma-related.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 01:23:35 am »

I had some puppies I brought along die of old age once, that shocked me.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 03:03:48 am »

Changing max age of a creature wont(or at least doesnt appear to) effect creatures already on your map, but any creature born or that wanders in after the change.

In one fort I had a couple of important dwarves who were rabid cat lovers and several dozen cats. In an atempt to kill all the cats I set their max age to 1. The cats already on the map all continued to live, but any kitten born after that died in a year. Im unsure if the cats that were there prior to the change were imortal or not as the fortress fell before they had a chance to reach their previous max age.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 04:14:05 am »

Nooooo.

Oh well, chances are I won't survive that long anyway.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 08:28:15 pm »

Changing max age of a creature wont(or at least doesnt appear to) effect creatures already on your map, but any creature born or that wanders in after the change.

In one fort I had a couple of important dwarves who were rabid cat lovers and several dozen cats. In an atempt to kill all the cats I set their max age to 1. The cats already on the map all continued to live, but any kitten born after that died in a year. Im unsure if the cats that were there prior to the change were imortal or not as the fortress fell before they had a chance to reach their previous max age.

This seems like a great way to have cats, but not catsplosions.

On another note: I've had lots of animals die of age, but not dwarfs. Though I assume they will die. I wonder if the spawn age of dwarfs is hardcoded, or I can somehow make all my dwarfs enter the map 1-5 years from death.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz