Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HOW DF KILLED MY COMPUTER  (Read 1520 times)

Edosurist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
HOW DF KILLED MY COMPUTER
« on: April 22, 2011, 12:31:28 am »

In ADV. MODE, I was simply walking over to some fortress in the middle of nowhere, and I asked the lord to let me stay the night (heh, that sounds funny). I slept, and when I woke up in the morning, I was outisde of the fortress, and my fps was 1. Hm, strange... I thought. I walked around to investigate. What I found out, was that the whole map around the fortress (even including parts of the wall) had somehow collapsed to the bottom of the map, presumably Hell, sending lava, water and dust into the air. Obsidian was forming in mid-air, and falling like rain around the map, causing mini-craters. Then, one hit me, and I flew into this pit. I fell at about a rate of .00001 fps, finally landing in the magma sea. WTF DF!!! My computer spent about ten minutes, just for me to die!

EDIT: I spent 10 minutes investigating the extent of the injuries my world had suffered. It turned out I was actually on a little island thingy surrounded by open space (the HOLE OF DEATH). That's when I was blown off the ledge... falling until I hit the sea, minutes later.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 11:59:20 pm by Edosurist »
So now all we've got to do is to put a couple of grannies into the LHC and smash them against each other at relativistic speeds. Lather, rinse, repeat until we got results.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
Re: HOW DF KILLED MY COMPUTER
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 12:39:48 am »

have you ever heard of the mythical key combination of [alt]+[ctrl]+[del], well you should learn about it!
At least if you would like to continue to play with computer games in ALPHA STAGE 'CAUSE IT IS NOT FINISHED ....
(however as an advice shut processes down, it works always better then just tryng to shoot down an aplication directly, and try to understand what you do before doing .... been warned!)
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Edosurist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 12:46:18 am »

I didn't want to quit out of it. I was lulling too hard.  ;D
So now all we've got to do is to put a couple of grannies into the LHC and smash them against each other at relativistic speeds. Lather, rinse, repeat until we got results.

Psychron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 03:36:23 pm »

That sound quite incredible. How did this happen?
(Also, you might want to change the title of the thread to something like "The Hole of Death")
"The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face."
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
"Instead of a trap door, what about a trap window? The guy looks out it, and if he leans too far, he falls out. Wait. I guess that's like a regular window."
"Don't ever get your speedometer confused with your clock, like I did once, because the faster you go the later you think you are."

Edosurist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 11:57:11 pm »

My guess is that something went wrong while trying to reload the world, and it must have completely skipped some z-levels in a few local map squares. I tried to film it, but something happened and the film was all messed up. I wasn't using the DF film program, it always seems to have little glitches, like sometimes, it flashes random text... and then it looks like I have a ton of pink flying dorfs and plump helmets.

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 04:23:56 am »

If it lags like that it's propably not nice, but I can't help but think of DF switching into dramatic slowmotion mode while your character screams "NOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo"
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.