Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Legends wizardry  (Read 812 times)

Tastysaurus Rex

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops!
    • View Profile
Legends wizardry
« on: January 18, 2011, 12:47:18 am »

I recently genned a new world to accommodate some light modding, and today I thought I'd give Legends a look. While going through the history I found a....well, a strange battle.

It was the usual kind of conflict: humans decide they don't like elves eating people and set out to kick their asses. This was the first battle of ten, known humorously as The Steamy Assaults. The humans arrived at Sanctumblossom (a forest retreat I assume) with a force of 27. The elves numbered at 23, with a supplementary 5 giant eagles bringing the defenders to 28.

The humans had 6 casualties. The elves had 24. The elves won. What?

What are some of the crazier things you've seen in Legends? Personally I miss the old days where some upstart kobold would solo a bronze colossus, but clearly there's still some weirdness to be had.
That wasn't technically a miscarriage, but the doctors didn't have a concise term for "gave birth and immediately baptized the baby in liquid fire."
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legends wizardry
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 12:55:51 am »

Well as i started playing df, i goofed around in Legends alot.

The first one that i found weird was like this if i remeber correctly:

Some Goblins decide to raid a Dwarfen Fortress. The Dwarfs were alot stronger in Numbers, they lost anyway, a sole survivor of the Goblinhorde plundered the Castle. Must have been some badass Goblin, or the Military was just as stupid as the one i currently have.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legends wizardry
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 01:45:58 am »

The humans had 6 casualties. The elves had 24. The elves won. What?

No matter how many troops the defender loses, they're almost always going to win the battle as long as some of them survive. If they're wiped out, then the battle is lost.

I remember one 40d world whose Legends mode listed a bunch of battles where the first few battles resulted in the extermination of all but one dwarf and all of them were listed as victories for the dwarven civilization. Of course, all of those battles featured much higher losses for the sieging elves than the defending dwarves (that one dwarf forced the elven kingdoms into a peace agreement by fending off multiple sieges at 50+ to 1 odds), but it was still a situation where the elves were clearly wearing the dwarves down.