Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: getting water in cold climate without magma  (Read 2194 times)

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
getting water in cold climate without magma
« on: January 16, 2011, 05:41:25 am »

I want to make a fortress in taiga but I'm unsure how to get water. please help me

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: getting water in cold climate without magma
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 05:49:28 am »

Well ya, I've never done a fortress in a cold climate, but I've noticed that water that's inside doesn't freeze during winter. So you'll most likely find water in caves, even though that's a certain amount of Fun.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 05:58:09 am »

hope you have an aquifer.  failing that, a cave with water.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

BuGGaTon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fake Dorfly Mentor
    • View Profile
    • BoredGamer
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 06:25:29 am »

failing any of the above then you can drop ice a fair distance and it allegedly becomes water.
Have any gameplay questions?  Try asking me during a live stream for a quick and helpful, yet derogatory reply!  Bloody elves.

http://www.twitch.tv/boredgameruk

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 06:27:31 am »

1, Place floor above river.
2, ?????
3, PROFIT WATER
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

drseptapus

• Bay Watcher
  • The peasant strangles the cat's throat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 01:51:17 pm »

2, ?????
3, PROFIT WATER

Fairly confident that doesn't work. What does work would be digging a tunnel from that river underground. The river still freezes, but your little offshoot does not.
I'm sure by the time toady gets too old to program, DF will have reached a stage where as it is sentient enough to program itself.
It won't program itself, it'll be too busy taking breaks and attending parties to code.

Silophant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 02:23:29 pm »

2, ?????
3, PROFIT WATER

That doesn't work. Once a tile's outdoors, a mere roof isn't enough to make it go back to inside.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 02:27:27 pm »

Then dig a tunnel underground, channel a connection to the... wait, no liquid water available. Damn.

Azhral

• Bay Watcher
  • Lets get Tactical!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 03:03:40 pm »

You'll need to get some Magma underneath the river to unfreeze it enough to get a trickle down a side tunnel. If you don't have any magma on/near the surface, your best bet will be the caverns.

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 04:03:09 pm »

Who needs stinking water anyway. Real dwarfs make booze with grain and the sweat and spittle from the combined dwarf population!

What crazy thing will they suggest next - SOAP!? Hahahaha, what a joke. ::)

(This post may contain traces of sarcasm and/or nuts - the part about not using water for making drinkable booze is however true)
I am going to copy the chicken entry and rename everything chocobo and make it 100x the size of a normal chicken and make it rideable.  Too bad our dwarves probably wont ride them. >_>

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 04:46:50 pm »

The ice dropping method requires multiple z-levels of ice in order to work. As the topmost lvl acts as a plug fooling the lower lvl(s) of ice into thinking its underground once dropped (which technicaly it is I guess) and melting into water. Its pretty much only possible on glaciers, as most other sorces of water/ice are only 1z deep. Your best bet will be to find a cavern.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.