Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF 2010, 0.31.18 -- the manager -- how do I type in a space?  (Read 668 times)

Rattyboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rattyboy.wordpress.com
DF 2010, 0.31.18 -- the manager -- how do I type in a space?
« on: January 13, 2011, 10:13:23 pm »

I had a keyboard binding that worked.. .but its gone now.

I /hate/ using escape to leave a screen, so on a fresh new install of 31.18, I  go happily to the keybindings section and add space as a keybinding to leave screen.

Then, I get ready to start using a manager dwarf.  He gets his office, i hit j+m+q to enter a new order.  I used to be able to type:

rock<shift+space>coffer

and rock coffer would be left on screen.  Same thing for say "iron door" (iron<shift+space>door). 

But... now its not working. :( shift+space is leaving the screen and so I can only type in "iron" and have to scroll through to find the iron item i want.

Any advice on this weird problem?

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2010, 0.31.18 -- the manager -- how do I type in a space?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 10:26:17 pm »

doesn't a regular space work?

Rattyboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 10:34:16 pm »

it does, if you don't remap space to "leave screen" via esc, key bindings.

But I HATE reaching up for the esc key to leave a screen.  In older versions, this worked OK.

And in my last setup, i was able to use space to leave a screen (ie. q, find a workshop, add a job, hit space to leave that screen) and was able to use shift+space to enter a space in the manager.

Rattyboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 10:41:56 pm »

Ooooh I found it.

I created a new game.

Esc, Key bindings, general, leave screen, add binding, hit the space bar, select "by letter"

mrbaggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 01:57:10 am »

Alternatively, hold down the Alt button, and type 32 on the numpad, then let go of alt. It SHOULD work in DF but
i havent tested it.

(Alt+32 is the ASCII code for a space)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 08:09:57 am »

I set Escape to be Alt + Space and kept text entry as Space. Since Alt is right next to my space bar, I can keep on using my thumb when typing (I can touch type, so I'm very used to using particular muscle movements) and switch to a slightly different thumb movement when backing out of a screen.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.