Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bronzes vs. Iron  (Read 2040 times)

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
Bronzes vs. Iron
« on: January 09, 2011, 07:55:53 pm »

So, i'm trying to decide what to make my pre-steel industry metal out of.  I have no flux here.

I have plenty of iron, copper, tin, and a good amount of bismuth.

From what I gather from the RAWs, Bismuth Bronze and Bronze are equal in all but value and color.

So..
For armor vs. Goblins, what do you feel is best?

Bronze, or Iron?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bronzes vs. Iron
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 08:17:06 pm »

bronze if fuel is a concern, iron otherwise.  Really as long as the armor is of decent quality the far more important thing is the skills of the dwarves themselves.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

shmelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 11:24:02 pm »

bronze if fuel is a concern, iron otherwise.  Really as long as the armor is of decent quality the far more important thing is the skills of the dwarves themselves.

Do you mean quality as in using a quality material or quality is in Exceptional/Masterwork?  I've been wondering about whether I should just melt down some basic-quality steel armor I have, or whether it would be fine for the dwarves to use as is.  (If I melt it down, I'll have my legendary armor smith make armor out of it, but it'll be *less* armor than I currently have.)  Does the item quality of the armor affect how well it protects them or just its value?  The wiki doesn't mention whether quality makes a difference. 
"Aye, th' fortress o' Barbedgear. They say th'r was a dinin' room dere...o' such splendor tha' it'd reduce ye te tears! Masterful engravings lined th' walls! Th' food was endless!"

"An' th' tables?"

"Oh, those fuckin' TABLES...*weeps gently into beard*"

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 11:28:42 pm »

Quality used to be worth much more than it is now.
For now, material is more important.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 02:54:14 am »

Bronze is superior to Iron and more fuel-efficient too.

When comparing materials effectiveness as armor, the trend goes: Silver-->Copper-->Iron-->Bronze-->Steel

When you compare weapon materials to armor materials, the rule of thumb is "Armor wins ties".  It takes a superior metal to reliably penetrate armor.

Since goblins never seem to attack with any metals better than Iron, then you can probably make do with Iron armor, but Bronze is a safe bet.  Bronze weapons are fine against just about anything you're likely to encounter.

My usual configuration when I find that I have to import Flux to make Steel is that I kit my troops out in Bronze armor and then arm them with Steel weaponry.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 06:23:34 am »

The wiki says you are wrong (it lists iron > bronze for 3.18), but some small testing in arena mode showed that bronze and iron are pretty much equal.

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 12:27:29 pm »

Undoubtedly you will get a little bit of steel as imports, so I recommend using a lot of bronze to stretch your steel supplies.  Instead of making your dwarves wear armor of all the same material, I would suggest using the steel to make the "critical" armor, like helms, breastplates, and maybe mail, and use bronze for things like boots, guantlets, and caps.  That way your dwarves are best protected in their most vulnerable areas, and while bronze should still turn aside most blows, even those that get through will be less likely to be killing wounds. 

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 02:26:49 pm »

The only real issue I've ever had with bronze is finding enough cassiterite. At least the copper is easy enough to locate.

BuGGaTon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fake Dorfly Mentor
    • View Profile
    • BoredGamer
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 03:21:29 pm »

What?!  Why is Iron less fuel efficient?
Have any gameplay questions?  Try asking me during a live stream for a quick and helpful, yet derogatory reply!  Bloody elves.

http://www.twitch.tv/boredgameruk

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 03:53:32 pm »

The only real issue I've ever had with bronze is finding enough cassiterite. At least the copper is easy enough to locate.
Look for granite.  Cassiterite and Galena are found in plentiful amounts in granite.  Digging deep into igneous rocks can yield more cassiterite than you know what to do with.  Native copper is much easier to find at surface levels, where simply digging tunnels through sandstone and basalt can give you a large surplus.  Cassiterite requires dedicated mining to find it, which gives the illusion of being rarer.  Try building a granite citadel, and your granite-quarries should yield a plenitude of the Tin ore.  If you run low on copper, then granite's darker cousin Diorite will yield all the tetrahedrite you need.  Gold too, but that's incidental.

What?!  Why is Iron less fuel efficient?
Fuel-consumption is on a "per-reaction" basis.  "1 Hematite --> 1 Iron" uses 1 fuel, but "1 Cassiterite + 1 Native Copper --> 2 Bronze" also uses only one fuel.  Bronze bars have 50% the fuel-cost that pure metals have.  The efficiency is somewhat lowered when you take into account the fuel costs of smithing (2 fuel for an iron pick, 1.5 for bronze, 4 for steel), but I generally process ore into metal resulting in a large metal-bar stockpile, where the fuel efficiency makes more of a difference.

Fuel-efficiency and the ability to use the "lesser ores" of silver in the reaction also make Electrum an attractive decorative metal for use in an early fort.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 02:41:04 am »

It has also better "time" efficiency:

To make two iron bars, you have four hauling jobs and two smelting jobs.
To make two bronze bars, you have three hauling jobs and one smelting job.

(in case of magma smelting, you have same amount of hauling jobs - one per bar, but one less smelting job for bronze)

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 05:20:20 am »

Does bismuth-bronze have any superior materials properties to regular bronze, or is the only difference +20% value and all the fuel you wasted smelting all its components separately?
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 07:36:32 am »

No, but maybe it will once corrosion is implemented  ;D. If you smelt with magma then it allows you to stretch your tin/copper further tho.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 02:11:49 pm »

Sure, bimuth-bronze is a tin-saver, but it's not like cassiterite is rare.  Besides, bismuthinite is found in clusters IN cassiterite.

Anyways, bismuth bronze does appear to come out as a more golden/yellow color in the game than regular bronze does.  Bismuth Bronze barrels can be easily distinguished from ones made of Copper.

If I'm making an "All-bronze" army, I'll use standard bronze for the armor, and Bismuth Bronze for the weapons so that I can easily distinguish between the two when I glance at a dwarf's inventory.
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."