Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Proper material for bolts?  (Read 660 times)

Seryntas

• Bay Watcher
  • has created a masterpiece!
    • View Profile
    • RPGWW Forums
Proper material for bolts?
« on: January 12, 2011, 10:48:30 am »

I have every single possible bolt material on my map - stacks of rutherer bones, forests of trees, every metal in the game except for bronze...and I could get some bronze if I needed it.  But I can't find on the Wiki whether adamantine bolts are the best kind of bolts - in fact, I thought I saw somewhere that they were the worst.  What's the right answer for what material to make bolts out of?
"Nectar and ambrosia are all the gods are allowed to eat in Greek mythology. In that way they're kind of like pandas. You know, in diet. From there the similarities break down." -my Greek Lit TA

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Proper material for bolts?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 11:03:55 am »

steel if you have everything else covered

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 12:18:58 pm »

I think it varies to a certain extent depending on what kind of target you are shooting.  If firing at unarmored targets, I would expect silver bolts to be very effective due to their density.  However, when firing at armored targets I suspect that silver would be very ineffective due to its softness, and steel would be much more effective at penetrating armor. 

Of course, a steel bolt in the lungs will probably kill an unarmored target just as well as a silver bolt would, so the question in that case is somewhat academic. 

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 12:29:44 pm »

The bolt mechanics are weird to say the least, common sense would suggest bolts initially do piercing damage, but the wiki says they do edge damage (That means it will either slash or pierce and if i read the bit about contact area vs size right they should pretty much always pierce). For edged weapons steel is second best and adamantine is best because of its ridiculous max_edge parameter. Then why is adamantine the worst material for bolts (that's also written on the wiki btw).
Well for normal edge weapons the strength of the weapon wielder plays a big part in the damage that is done. Bolts however seem to rely on a kinetic energy model (of which no one but toady probably knows how detailed it is). Kinetic energy is 0.5*m*vē so it scales linearly with the bolts mass and quadratic with its velocity (the latter appearing to be a non-factor since ranged weapons always seem to fire ammunition at the max_velocity from the raws).
The biggest difference for bolts should come from the fact whether they pierce the armor or not (if they don't the damage is changed to blunt which can still damage the target even if the armor material completely outclasses the bolt material in all properties).
So what you would theoretically want is bolts that are very heavy and very hard.
Steel would fit the very hard part and adamantine would fit it even more. Silver would be the heaviest of the possible bolt materials, but its also very soft.
Anyway i don't know why i just wrote all this as testing shows that all bolt metals except adamantine perform pretty much the same. Imho just base the choice depending on what you have too much of.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 12:42:14 pm »

metal, non adamantine bolts.  Adamantine bolts are like getting a pencil thrown at you, silver is like getting hit with a brick.  I usually make bronze and silver bolts.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 04:00:31 pm »

Copper, bronze and silver are all good with differences being mostly academic (silver seemed ahead against fleshy things, bronze against tinny things). Iron and steel haven't done well in my tests.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 04:48:55 pm »

I use bone because what's better at killing a baby elephant than the bones of it's mother?
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

BuGGaTon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fake Dorfly Mentor
    • View Profile
    • BoredGamer
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 05:08:50 pm »

adamantine is extremely light and hard.  With the force of someone's weight behind it then it's a formidable weapon, think like a lightsabre.  Imagine being shot with a nerf gun whilst wearing metal armour.  Not quite as effective :)
Have any gameplay questions?  Try asking me during a live stream for a quick and helpful, yet derogatory reply!  Bloody elves.

http://www.twitch.tv/boredgameruk

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 01:24:32 am »

I use whatever's cheap, and generally like to designate a specific material to be used for each activity so I can control it.  Running low on meat?  Whip up a new batch of silver bolts for my hunters!
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."