Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sending merchants to a specific trade depot?  (Read 558 times)

Tanelorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sending merchants to a specific trade depot?
« on: January 13, 2011, 04:23:38 am »

Assuming I built several trade deopts in my fortress, would there be a way to send merchants to a specific depot? Would cutting off the path path to all the depots except one steer the merchant towards the one accessible depot? Would they just stop moving until the path to the depot they have chosen opens up again?

The reason I want to know is that I play  with the Civ forge mod, and several civilizations (friendly to me) come to trade during the same season. But they are at war with each other, so they always end up killing each other on or near the depot. I'd like to steer one civilization towards one depot and the other civ to another depot, so they don't get to see each other.

I guess for non modded games, it would be worth steering merchants to send the elves to the trade depot of doom and death, and the dwarves to the depot to a safe area.

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding fortesses with magma since 2010
    • View Profile
Re: Sending merchants to a specific trade depot?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 08:22:33 am »

Well you could enclose one in walls and seal it off when the other caravan comes, then open it when the other people go into the other depot...Dunno I think it'd work...

And can you give me a link to the mod that speak of?
Dwarf 1: This is the worst part... The calm before the battle.
Dwarf 2: And then the battle is not so bad?
Dwarf 1: Oh...right. I forgot about the battle.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 09:29:56 am »

You could try (t) - ing over the depot, and forbidding it's building materials.
If that works, that would be the fastest way.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 09:32:38 am »

Wall it in with only one door which can be closed. Do that with each Trade Depot and it should be easy and fast. BUT I don't know if they insist on used a specific one. Never had more than one.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 09:59:41 am »

I had two depots on a fort once and (in vanilla) and the merchants would always go to the old depot.

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 10:10:52 am »

So a labyrinth to the Trade Depot with pressure plates that lock the doors on the opposite site is needed. If one goes in, the other is blocked out. If one leaves, the other goes in. To make them leave just offend them when you are done trading. ;)