Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Windmill "Frozen here"  (Read 1589 times)

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Windmill "Frozen here"
« on: January 11, 2011, 06:40:27 pm »

My fortress is on a glacier, and I decided I wanted to try to harness the power of the wind for the pumps on my ice-trap.  However, my windmill does not rotate and a (q)uery reveals that the machinery is "Frozen Here" as opposed to the gears underneath it which say "frozen elsewhere".

Is it impossible to catch the wind in a glacial biome?  Do cold temperatured freeze ALL machinery?  If I build my windmill atop constructed floors rather than on the bare glacial ice, will that protect it from the cold?  Will I have to resort to a water-reactor?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Windmill "Frozen here"
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 09:26:54 pm »

Update:
Constructing floors on the ice and building the windmill on top of that did not work.  Still frozen.
Going up a level however did work.  I think the lesson here is that you can't build machinery on top of ice.

This jibes with another experience I had with ice floors.  Even if you construct a floor on top of the ice, if you let magma flow onto that floor, the ice melts, turning to water and solidifying the lava.  Also, if 1/7 water freezes, you get not an ice Wall, but an ice Floor.

The presence of any natural ice terrain in a square will cause ice-related problems.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 07:57:30 am »

My understanding is that it's not the windmill that froze, it's the gears at the bottom (which are part of the building) that froze.  This would concurr with your findings that raising the building fixed it.  I suspect you can drive a shaft down through the ice if you tunnel it out and build walls around it?  Or do you not have a problem with a vertical axle transmitting power from your now unfrozen windmill?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 12:49:25 pm »

Is it impossible to catch the wind in a glacial biome?  Do cold temperatured freeze ALL machinery?  If I build my windmill atop constructed floors rather than on the bare glacial ice, will that protect it from the cold?  Will I have to resort to a water-reactor?

windmills do not work at all on frozen maps.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 02:20:05 pm »

windmills do not work at all on frozen maps.
My elevated windmill is producing power just fine.  I believe it was contact with ice that was messing with it.  I'll have to investigate to see if all machinery is impaired on ice.
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."