Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: cant make soap  (Read 916 times)

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
cant make soap
« on: January 06, 2011, 11:04:44 am »

i have 7 lye about 40 tallow, and a soap makers shop, yet i can't make soap, i have someone with soapmaking assigned however, when i press a the screen is blank and cant select anything.

how do i make soap?  one of my miners fell and has two severely broken legs and is getting infected i need soap

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: cant make soap
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 11:17:29 am »

Soap is heavily bugged, so you cant make them at soap shop, but you can make them at manager screen. You need a manager.

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 11:21:10 am »

i have a manager, dont know how to use the manager screen though haha

varangian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 11:23:31 am »

Soap is heavily bugged, so you cant make them at soap shop, but you can make them at manager screen. You need a manager.

What he said, plus buy your lye in from dwarf caravans instead of making it yourself. Another bugged process which leaves buckets with a mixture of lye and water in them cluttering up the place but rarely gets to fill a barrel with lye which is what your soapmaker will be looking for.

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 11:25:48 am »

i have a manager, dont know how to use the manager screen though haha
Same xD
You can search 'make soap' on it, or just 'soap'. And maybe get some results. I never got infections so soap is useless in my fortress. Well, I never figured how to put lye in barrels too  :(.

GotIt_00

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 12:10:34 pm »

To use your manager, hit "j", then "m," and then "q" to set up a new task. Once you have that task selected, you can set a quantity.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 01:21:00 pm »

Is your lye stored in a barrel or in a bunch of buckets? If the latter, place a food stockpile which accepts 1 barrel and only permits storage of lye, then wait a while and you should be in business.

Not true - if you make the lye and properly get it stored in barrels, you can add the jobs at the workshop and it'll work just fine.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 04:31:40 pm »

Yeah it's just the problem with the barrels, and even tho the wiki specifically says you need the food stockpile with everything but misc liquids lye turned off, people keep asking this question.

grymwulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 11:49:39 am »

That still doesn't seem to be working for me.

I even purchased lye barrels from merchants to use in the process, and it isn't working.

shmelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 12:17:37 pm »

That still doesn't seem to be working for me.

I even purchased lye barrels from merchants to use in the process, and it isn't working.

what specifically isn't working?  the Manager screen or the Misc Liquids stockpile?
"Aye, th' fortress o' Barbedgear. They say th'r was a dinin' room dere...o' such splendor tha' it'd reduce ye te tears! Masterful engravings lined th' walls! Th' food was endless!"

"An' th' tables?"

"Oh, those fuckin' TABLES...*weeps gently into beard*"

grymwulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 12:31:35 pm »

Both were not working,

But after multiple attempts at:
Create/Destroy Soap workshop - wait to see if anything happens -
Create/Remove Lye Stockpile - wait to see if anything happens -
Create/Remove Soap Bar work order - wait to see if anything happens -

Something must have clicked and McUrist the Smelly figured out that someone wanted soap.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 02:06:42 pm »

I just import all my lye.  It really is easier that way.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."