Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wells & Waterfalls  (Read 728 times)

brucemo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wells & Waterfalls
« on: January 09, 2011, 11:05:29 pm »

The computer I normally use to play DF is dead so I'm using a computer that doesn't have any existing forts, so it's hard to check this for myself, so I decided that I'd ask.  Also, depending upon the answer, this question may benefit others.

A waterfall in a fort can be created by dropping water through a hole in the ceiling, at which point it passes through a grate or something in the floor.  This can be continued for as many Z-levels as desired, obviously.  At the bottom, water can flow out of the fort, into the caverns, or be brought back up via a pump stack.

Regardless of the system used, it would be trivial to make a catch basin at the bottom, which would result in standing water at the bottom of the waterfall.  The catch basin could be two Z-levels high, with drainage on the upper level, kind of like the drain near the top of a bathroom sink, so water wouldn't flood the fort, but wouldn't immediately drain out if the watefall was turned off, and would always be about 7 units high.

These days I'm building forts on aquifers in cold biomes, so it's trivial to set this kind of thing up -- I just build a ramp into the ceiling below the aquifer (it seems to have to be a ramp in natural rock -- a constructed ramp doesn't work) and water pours out.

What I'm wondering is if rather than putting a grate on the floor of each level the waterfall passes through, could I put a well there?  Can you have a waterfall flowing over a well without interrupting the work task when a dwarf goes to get water from the well?  This would be pretty cool, since a well can be a high-value piece of architecture, and it could share the same space as the waterfall.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Wells & Waterfalls
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 11:33:24 pm »

I am fairly certain that water falling through the well will not interfere with the well's functioning.
I could be wrong.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 12:02:00 am »

I think it could be done, though you might have Urist falling down the well.

brucemo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 02:02:18 am »

If Urist falls down the well, he's dead boogers, because this is going to be a pretty deep well stack.

I think it is unlikely that Urist will fall down the well though.  My suspicion is that a dwarf doesn't move onto the well in order to use it, so the wads of water falling from above shouldn't blow him down the well.