Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Damp microcline?  (Read 1982 times)

LordBistian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Damp microcline?
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2011, 01:21:58 pm »

@ OP: breach caverns, put fortification, profit. Also, once you breach the caverns, there will be tree's growing on any mud underground.
IIRC.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2011, 01:49:53 pm »

Perhaps I should rephrase my question. Is there some other possibility for the damp stone?

Is there any visible water directly above/below where you're digging? Digging just above/below plumbing, or any water for that matter, will constantly provoke this message as you uncover stone that's adjacent to water in any orthogonal direction.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2011, 04:35:40 pm »

But you can breach the caverns without having to deal with them.  I often dig exploratory tunnels then wall them off again.
Putting down exploratory shafts made of up-down staircases is good too. I'm not sure what the odds are of discovering a cavern at its ground level are compared with tunneling, but shafts make less of a mess and find things very quickly.

Quick example: 2x2 site, play now, four shafts right at each corner.
13th Granite: magma discovered
25th Granite: third cavern discovered
16th Slate: second cavern discovered
11th Felsite: four staircases finished, nothing else discovered. Miner still at Proficient.

The second cavern was discovered at ground level and quickly walled off, southern wall last.
That's a bit of an artificial example as literally the only order I gave was to dig and I started at ground level, but it's feasible to start with a small scrape in the dirt before moving on to the exploratory stuff.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2011, 08:58:40 am »

Perhaps I should rephrase my question. Is there some other possibility for the damp stone?

Is there any visible water directly above/below where you're digging? Digging just above/below plumbing, or any water for that matter, will constantly provoke this message as you uncover stone that's adjacent to water in any orthogonal direction.

Nothing above. If I recall correctly, I haven't dug to the corresponding area below, and now don't want to...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2011, 09:10:51 am »

Safest way to go about it, then, is to go to the z-level ABOVE where the damp stone is, and dig an identical corridor above the one that led to the damp stone. If the stone directly above the damp stuff is damp as well, continue moving up until you find one that isn't. The topmost damp stone should be safe to uncover, and you can channel it to get a look at what you've found.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2011, 01:20:47 pm »

Safest way to go about it, then, is to go to the z-level ABOVE where the damp stone is, and dig an identical corridor above the one that led to the damp stone. If the stone directly above the damp stuff is damp as well, continue moving up until you find one that isn't. The topmost damp stone should be safe to uncover, and you can channel it to get a look at what you've found.
I think you misunderstood what I meant, but yes, this will likely help me breech the caverns if I want to.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 [2]