Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblins and Ambushes  (Read 797 times)

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblins and Ambushes
« on: January 06, 2011, 11:04:58 pm »

So I was poking through the raws and noticed that, unlike Elves and Kobolds, Goblins don't have the [AMBUSHER] tag. From what I know this would mean that they no longer send ambushes. Do they still send ambushes in 3.18?
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblins and Ambushes
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 11:07:16 pm »

yes, i get three ambushes at once from at first exclusively goblins, then there is an elf with them now

KProject

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 11:13:41 pm »

Magmawiki says that the [AMBUSHER] tag makes enemies invisible when they spawn on your map. It has nothing to do with whether or not a civ will send ambushes or sieges to your fort. [BABYSNATCHER] is the tag that makes a civ send ambushes.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 11:20:20 pm »

Oh, that's strange. Well, thanks for clearing that up for me.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 11:23:56 pm »

IIRC, goblins ambush because of the BABYSNATCHER tag.

EDIT: Yeah, what KProject said.

EDIT2: Additionally, removing CAN_SPEAK makes an entity always hostile, but only siege.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 11:26:38 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

vipre01

• Bay Watcher
  • asdf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 12:30:35 am »

IIRC, goblins ambush because of the BABYSNATCHER tag.

EDIT: Yeah, what KProject said.

EDIT2: Additionally, removing CAN_SPEAK makes an entity always hostile, but only siege.

Didn't know that about the CAN_SPEAK tag. Thanks for the info.

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 08:43:13 am »

Do kobolds have [babysnatcher]?  Or do they not ambush anymore?  (I'm used to them sending archer teams when enough value has been stolen.)

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 08:49:52 am »

Do kobolds have [babysnatcher]?  Or do they not ambush anymore?  (I'm used to them sending archer teams when enough value has been stolen.)

They dont have [BABYSNATCHER]. This tag means that the civ will send some(1) to kill your children/baby instantly.

Magentawolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 09:01:12 am »

Kobolds have the [SKULKER] or [SKULKING] tag if I remember correctly... that sets them up to thieve items, and then ambush if they've stolen enough value.

Cassicotca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 09:24:20 am »

On the topic of goblins and ambushes, when goblin ambush is it normal for them to have 3 hidden groups? kinda annoying when you just cleared a ambush group 2 others suddenly appear. Same thing with sieges.

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 09:33:17 am »

On the topic of goblins and ambushes, when goblin ambush is it normal for them to have 3 hidden groups? kinda annoying when you just cleared a ambush group 2 others suddenly appear. Same thing with sieges.
That's why they are called ambushes and not obvious attack. ;)

It is possible that you had three different ambushes who remained hidden for a while and during the combat against the first ambush which was revealed you managed to get into the view of the other two ambushes.

Cassicotca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 10:45:59 am »

There was 3 announcements but yes it was very ambushy from those goblins. Anyone else have a problem when caravans appear that the ambush is about 5 seconds after they arrive? depending where the caravan appears my army cant get there in time and the caravan gets slaughterd.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 11:25:03 am »

Ambush & caravan at the same time can be interesting. Dwarves send their soldiers to do some damage to the ambushers and the caravan seems to arrive okay, then, Humans do something similar (though less effective, of course), but Elves just get slaughtered, and well, I don't see any problems with that.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 11:29:13 am »

at first the three ambushes i had were hard, but then they got easier, and now they just kill each other so i have no fun :(

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 12:01:45 pm »

Gonna setup a stockpile of artifact quality bonecrafts at the map edge now after reading this thread.