Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dwarf cat love  (Read 768 times)

thunderbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
dwarf cat love
« on: January 05, 2011, 10:24:17 pm »

how do i fix a dwarfs obsession with cats? he has at least a dozen of them as pets.

a minor nuisance but they keep breeding and bringing dead dragonflies into the fort

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Re: dwarf cat love
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 10:25:14 pm »

Magma.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 10:26:13 pm »

remove [VERMINHUNTER] from the cat.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

thunderbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 10:29:06 pm »

wouldn't killing them hurt the dwarfs feelings?

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 10:31:53 pm »

only if they are his actual pet, if they are jsut kittens following their mother around then no, or just cage them, slaughter them for meat and hides and bones is good too, one kitten or cat doesn't give alot but slaughter 15 and it can add up

thunderbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 10:33:25 pm »

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/3725/catsuxi.jpg

crap. the vermin thing will help though

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 10:37:43 pm »

lmao, thats funny, kill the stoneworker?  then cage the cats before they can re-choose someone

Starmantle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 03:07:23 am »

It's not perfect, but I'd say an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure... or a pound of modifying creature tags.

I just butcher the ones that aren't pets as they're born or as they come on to the map.

It tends to work, but then again, my forts tend to die from FPS within the first 6 years or so.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 04:03:25 am »

Lock the door of his room (also for pets) when he's asleep and the problem will, slowly, solve it self.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

micha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 07:34:32 am »

Hey!

I'd been playing and lurking and growling at my fps through about a dozen forts when a week or so ago I had a curious thing happen. which is why I now registered to add something to this thread.

For unremembered reasons I had a single tile room with a locked door that had once served as a dump. I don't remember what was in there, but a brilliant thing happened! 

a roach spawned in that room and outside of it cats were congregating like mad.

i build a 2 tile draw bridge that would close on the square in front of the door and killed over a dozen mostly female cats including several pets in my first go.  I forget why I had so many female cats to begin with as usually the first thing I do is to dismantle my wagon to build a woodshop, chair and animal cage for those beasts, but hey, messy dumb history or not, I'd discovered something I'd not read about here or on the wiki.

This evolved to be the cat-smasher! which is quickly added to a side corridor:

Code: [Select]
#####
hallway
#d#d#
# bBL#
#D#L#
#C###
#####

#-wall
D-locked door
d-open doors
b-where the bridge lands
B-bridge when openend
L-levers for bridge and cage
C-cage with assorted rodents collected by the kennel dude.

ok, i admit, even though i've built this twice i've not had a cat problem since my discovery and the CAT SMASHER remains in a state of undetermined utility.

BUT!  in case of a catxplosion ... pull the cage-lever to call all cats to the inner door for smashing, then, uh, smash them by pulling the bridge lever.

*not responsible for tantrum spirals*

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 11:55:24 am »

Heh, I had a similar strategy as Micha, but using a spear trap operated by a lever.

Although it worked great on cats, I quickly found that a downside is that it works equally well on children.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 12:05:37 pm »

haha

GotIt_00

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 12:23:34 pm »

My danger room kills cats, babies, and dogs. Even with a designation to keep pets out, they love those spear traps too much to be kept outside.